Build Sequence

LA3222

Random question, thought I knew the answer  it as the time draws near to start making decisions I am questioning everything again.

My build is a TF inner skin with block outer.  What is the sequence r.e. roof and block work?  I thought the roof goes on first then the block work goes up?

Sure I read something somewhere about 'loading' the frame down with the weight of the roof before throwing the block work up?

Ta

That’s not far off being correct - the only “issue” comes with how you treat the soffits in this situation as there will be some slight differential movement however that will be minimal. 

There is probably more weight in internal plasterboard to be honest than roofing materials - wonder how that affects the frame ..?

knowing that loading and shrinkage are two separate things, I just ensured our blockworkers left the top a wee bit shy for now. We've clipped eaves (no soffit) so any remaining gap will be sorted by the render , at some point later in time.

Under the window frames tho is different, there's an easy 1/2" gap filled with Compriband there.

I know the advice above is right but there are also quite a few variables that effect internal movement and cracking, such as type of timber frame, if it goes up wet/dry and then stays wet/dry for a while, when the frame is loaded up etc.  I have been pretty surprised to have no cracks in plasterboard whatsoever from movement or shrinkage after 2 years in my MBC build. My frame went up dry and did not get rained on for a long time. The tiles went on straight after the frame went up but then plasterboard not fixed for several months so had time to settle first.