Adam E

Adam E

Hi All

Long time browser based in Renfrewshire (close to Glasgow airport)  gathering up as much information for our own self build,  We have been enjoying the site and reading the blogs for many months

I can certainly try and post a few pictures but don’t think my computer skills will allow for a blog.

Slab was finished approx 2 weeks ago ready for a 4 star Scotframe Val-U-Therm kit  (SIPS).  Scotframe recommended kit erectors are building the kit just now, its a bungalow  134 Sq meter based on the Scotframe Cannich design with a lot of alterations Roof tiler should hopefully be in a position to start next week followed by the blockwork weather dependent

No Pv but we are fitting MVHR and 8.5kW Ecodan air source heat pump with UFH and a 250 lit unvented cylinder, triple glazed

We are aiming for a good quality build with good air tightness and insulation above the regulations but certainly not to passive standards or indeed the levels of insulation achieved by some of the contributors on this site.  As I have said I am using Scotframe erectors local roofer and bricklayer to get the house wind and watertight which will allow me to do most of the work internally.   So no doubt I will need to seek the advice from the various members and hopefully learn from your experiences and hopefully contribute now and again.

Adam  

• 1 month later...

Hi we went for rational triple glazed al clad, we went to the showroom for both rational and nordan, Liz preferred the rational style and colour choice, rational were slightly dearer but that might have been down to the choices we made not sure of price as we got a price for the complete kit 

we had to go for a raft foundation we had soil investigation carried out and the structural engineer specified raft foundation I asked about the passive types slabs but no one was keen I wish I stood my ground and just got a company with experience in that type of slab the same as Jeremy Harris and others on hear have, but I wasn’t confident enough to argue the point with them, the building trade in general are not keen on anything that is not traditional 

I am happy with the standard of the scotframe kit, but getting things altered and there communication with our architect was frustrating I would recommend getting them and there in-house teams to design any changes to a standard kit I think it would work out cheaper and probably less hassle, although our architect has been fantastic and would recommend her to any one in our area.