Broken handle on window

17 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

The gearbox is knackered. I bought some very cheap windows once, and they broke within a matter of weeks on a good few of the windows. Not sure how the fudge you are going to get at that. Sorry.

yikes. Not the answer I was hoping for. 

2 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Looks to be an allen nut on the handle and a flat screw at the top?

What happens when you remove them both?

The Allen nut just roared both ways, endlessly; on the working one too.

Took the screws out - this revealed a bolt (similar to those in door handles) which appears to have slid back into the frame preventing the window handle from working. Pulled the bolt out and fixed the window handle in place and it’s all working again. Phew. Thankfully, the gears inside the window are working perfectly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Home Farm said:

Took the screws out - this revealed a bolt (similar to those in door handles) which appears to have slid back into the frame preventing the window handle from working. Pulled the bolt out and fixed the window handle in place and it’s all working again. Phew. Thankfully, the gears inside the window are working perfectly.

If there's no grub screw to stop the bolt sliding in and out a small blob of silicone up the handle will have the same effect if left to set.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

If there's no grub screw to stop the bolt sliding in and out a small blob of silicone up the handle will have the same effect if left to set.

Good tip. If it happens again, I’ll do that.

A short spindle can work it's way too far into the handle - away from the lock or into the lock away from the handle. 

You can always insert a spare piece of spindle and operate without the handle using a small spanner or mole grips etc to check the lock action.

I'm sad that I keep bits I take off old doors. Cut any new spindle to length in a vice with a hacksaw and file off the burr. (Or hold in moles and cut off with a small grinder if you're a bit deft at it ? ). Sometimes theres a grub screw that tightens into a V in the square bar, often it's just expected to tighten against the square bar and bite in.

Check Amazon, Wickes even. Not sure if Screweys or TS do the bars.

e.g:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Door-Handle-Spindle---90mm-Pack-of-2/p/112799

(As an aside you can find on some say bathroom door locks the square spindle is a smaller section).