Smoke & Heat Alarms

Carrerahill

Can anyone recommend any decent smoke/heat alarms. 

I want to get a "system" from a manufacturer and while I am at it I will kit out the existing house and extension. I just want a simple scaleable solution. What have you guys gone for?

Thanks.

Edited by Carrerahill
Spelling

I only fit Aico.  Just about the only manufacturer with proper terminations for a flush mounting system.

I like the fact Aico do a combined heat and CO detector.  I wish they would pull their finger out and also do a combined smoke and CO.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Just to be different I fitted Kidde mains with rechargeable lithium backup for smoke and heat alarms.

We once had to fit Kidde in a hurry, as a last minute thing when Aico weren't available (that afternoon). They were alright.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

We once had to fit Kidde in a hurry, as a last minute thing when Aico weren't available (that afternoon). They were alright.

I thought they were one of the ones with just a flying lead exiting from the top and you have to magic up a junction box (i.e conduit box or similar) in the ceiling for the junction.

A lot more faff than Aico with their decent terminal box.

53 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I thought they were one of the ones with just a flying lead exiting from the top and you have to magic up a junction box (i.e conduit box or similar) in the ceiling for the junction.

Nope, just 3 wires in and terminals from memory. Might have some pics somewhere...

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I didn't have any problems at all fitting them, very straightforward.

31 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Nope, just 3 wires in and terminals from memory. Might have some pics somewhere...

Please post pictures if you have any.

Just about every one I have fitted apart from Aico just have 3 bare wires to terminate to UNLESS you also buy the optional "flush" mounting box which does give you terminal space, but makes them much more bulky and stick down from the ceiling more.  The only solution I ever found for non Aico was to set a round dry lining box into the ceiling to avoid the extra bulk and cost of the flush mounting kit.

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Please post pictures if you have any.

Just about every one I have fitted apart from Aico just have 3 bare wires to terminate to UNLESS you also buy the optional "flush" mounting box which does give you terminal space, but makes them much more bulky and stick down from the ceiling more.  The only solution I ever found for non Aico was to set a round dry lining box into the ceiling to avoid the extra bulk and cost of the flush mounting kit.

Guessing these are the separate base ones? Only ever fitted them once. They do look bulky looking back! Weird how you forget things, could have sworn they were "flusher":

P4060239_zps1a9d5a6b.thumb.JPG.c38a57754ab4a8d8165253616056be17.JPG

Yes that is with the optional flush mounting box.  If you want to mount them without that and so look less bulky, the only way I ever found was set a round dry lining box into the ceiling.

Of course I find many just with a hole in the ceiling and a bare choc block connector above the ceiling. I suspect an awful lot are fitted like that.