Planning breech to be made arrestable

I guess this may also affect anyone that wants to claim unregistered land and incorporate it into their garden...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10268079/police-given-powers-arrest-travellers-and-seize-caravans/

Tough new laws will make it a criminal offence to occupy any land without permission with the intention of setting up home there.

Depends on the wording of the law, but I suspect it may well be targeted at travellers, rather than be included in more general planning law.  There's probably also some subtlety around the "arrestable offence" bit, I think, as well as demonstrating "intent to set up home".  The problem the police have with unlawful traveller encampments is that they cannot arrest someone for trespass at the moment, unless some other offence is committed.  If trespass, under certain circumstances, is made an arrestable offence, then the police could act more quickly, which may result in encampments being moved on before they can become established.  Ultimately I'd guess this might just put more pressure on LAs to provide traveller sites.

Whether this can apply more generally, for example to land that might have fallen within adverse possession depends very much on both the wording and the way the police choose to use the law.  Given that to be able to claim adverse possession has been made significantly harder since 2002, together with a lot of land now being registered, I'm not sure it's that likely to affect many people other than squatters and travellers.

Something needs to be done about travellers.  I don't have an issue in principle with a nomadic life style, but I do have an issue with their blatant breaking of lots of other laws like fly tipping etc which they rarely get prosecuted for.  So having some other law that they can be charged with seems a good thing.

34 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Hieronymous will wish to know whether this is retrospective ... :ph34r:

Our local Enforcement Officer came by and parked his car on my site the other day. Massive grin on his face. And two large A4 envelopes two plastic bags and a roll of parcel tape.

Neither of us said anything.

I wouldn't have his job for twice what they pay him. 

1 hour ago, Sensus said:

Your thread title is wrong.

They're talking about making trespass a criminal offence.

Trespass is nothing whatsoever to do with Planning, or Planning law.

Looks like I misunderstood.

In my part of the world travellers buy the land from a farmer and put a few hundred tons of hardcore down before moving in without planning permission -  I misunderstood "without permission" to mean "without planning permission".

Our local privately owned and gated site was raided earlier this year. The newspaper reported that cannabis was found growing on the "unoccupied pitches". No wonder there is a shortage of pitches in the county :-)

Edited by Temp

3 minutes ago, Sensus said:

Yeah, in my particular neck of the woods (and I'm sure the same across the country), they're heavily involved in 'County Lines' drugs operations. Probably not unrelated to their land ownership... gotta put your money somewhere, I guess?

How does that feel, knowing (or at least heavily suspecting) where the money paid to you by one of your favourite clients is coming from?

• Thanks 2