Bubbles forming in GRP, can't get rid of them

andyscotland

@JSHarris @SteamyTea thank you! Yes the resin did seem a bit sticky and I twigged fairly quick that it was curing faster than previously. So we were rushing a bit. Potentially skimped below and started consolidating as the resin hardened but before the binder had properly broken down. More haste... ☹️ 

Really reassuring to have all your opinions that it's potentially not moisture. Now just have to hope the tarp keeps it dry till the next good weather day.

Still going to keep thinking about a tent a little longer, could be a bit of cost but would save a lot of stress/hassle trying to fit round the weather and give a lot of confidence that I'll be able to finish it all properly... Have now had rain twice when the forecast said it would be dry (2% chance precipitation) and it takes such an age to get covers on and off properly that it is all really dragging out.

Going to be wet and very windy down here tomorrow.

If you have a bit of spare time, have a little play with the resin and mat to get a feel for it.

One thing to notice is how the noise change as you consolidate the mat. It is hard to explain how to do this sort of job, just experience really.

And good hand cleaner.

10 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Going to be wet and very windy down here tomorrow.

If you have a bit of spare time, have a little play with the resin and mat to get a feel for it.

One thing to notice is how the noise change as you consolidate the mat. It is hard to explain how to do this sort of job, just experience really.

And good hand cleaner.

Thanks @SteamyTea - here too. I felt like I had got a feel for it (and spotted the noise change) on the first section, but evidently not enough to not be thrown off by a small change. I have a small box gutter section (to bridge narrow gap between extension and next door) that I can do indoors in the meantime so will have a play with that.

Meant to ask, assume the fix for the bubbly section is still going to be to sand the whole area we did yesterday back to the wood, when the weather improves?

Edited by andyscotland
  • Like 1

No need to go back to the wood if it is stuck okay. Make sure you get rid of all those horrible little spiky bits, they may look small, but can cause s similar problem.

A sanding discs on an angle grinder is the quick way to remove GRP.

Don't worry about the dust, you are going to itch until you get in a shower or bath, for the next 30 years, at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

No need to go back to the wood if it is stuck okay. Make sure you get rid of all those horrible little spiky bits, they may look small, but can cause s similar problem.

A sanding discs on an angle grinder is the quick way to remove GRP.

Don't worry about the dust, you are going to itch until you get in a shower or bath, for the next 30 years, at least.

Brilliant, thanks. Will just cut away the spiky / big bubble bits and redo them then, and surface sand and acetone the rest to get the patches/next section/topcoat to bond.

Yep, have already experienced the joy of itching from the GRP dust... Happy times ?