Hello World

AleesLLD

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new here (duh) and I'm thinking about renovating my house. I have zero to little experience with what I am doing but I know I want to extend the downstairs and it's quite small and cramped so thinking about adding an extension. Expect lots of stupid questions from me and I'll share things I find as I go. 

5 minutes ago, AleesLLD said:

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new here (duh) and I'm thinking about renovating my house. I have zero to little experience with what I am doing but I know I want to extend the downstairs and it's quite small and cramped so thinking about adding an extension. Expect lots of stupid questions from me and I'll share things I find as I go. 

Welcome.

Where are you located? The law & process varies across the UK countries.

Always a good idea to look at what your neighbours have done, especially if their houses are broadly the same as yours.

You'll need to understand what you can do under permitted development vs requiring a full planning submission.

Lots of useful information here.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200187/your_responsibilities/37/planning_permission/2#targetText=Permitted Development Rights,local authority but by Parliament.

Most LA's now charge for any kind of pre-planning advice so they may not be the best place to start.

Some architects will give you a free hour or so to talk through what's possible - this is always a more productive conversation once you already have a few ideas.

You can also talk to local builders also but remember that you are ultimately responsible for ensuring what you do is lawful (planning and building control) so double check everything you're told and be wary of anyone who says 'Don't worry about it'!

20 hours ago, AleesLLD said:

Hi Everyone, 

Hi, welcome to the forum and good luck with the building work. You might find this thread enlightening.

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, AleesLLD said:

I'm UK based

The point @Bitpipe was making is that it matters where in the UK you are: rules in England and Wales differ slightly, NI and especially Scotland are quite different in some respects. However, if you don't immediately make that distinction we can reasonably guess you're in England ?.

On 31/10/2019 at 12:53, AleesLLD said:

Hi Everyone, 

40 minutes ago, AleesLLD said:

Thanks guys. This is really helpful. 

I'm UK based so I have checked with my local council and got planning permission to cover myself should someone come knocking

If you've got planning permission already then you're obviously past the thinking stage :)

Show plans etc and we can help.