Extension or conservatory?

Hi, me again (with another question - probably a rather silly one but I’m learning as I go). Property purchased and finally insured. Big project for me - Roof to come off and be replaced, requires larger floor space... but in discussions with architect today, we had an interesting chat re plans.

The new roof includes plans to turn bungalow into chalet style house with 2 bedrooms and a bathroom in the roof (foundations fine for this). However, because downstairs is very small and has a large garden I had initially planned to extend and bring the roof out to the new extension (keeping 1 bedroom in the front and a study too). Then the back an open plan space knocking two smallish (8x10) rooms together and extending to make a reasonable sized open plan space - lounge, dining room and kitchen.

Architect suggested that instead of the extension (costly) it might be better to put a decent, well insulated conservatory on the back (north facing) rather than pay for an extension and (much - roughly 1/3 again) larger roof. 2 double bedrooms and bathroom are ok for the space without the extension.

This is not something I had even considered until now. Funds are extremely limited and I am learning as I go, so any cost reductions would be welcome. Currently I’m approaching this as a 5 year project (simply because I need to save, then move to try next phase) with phase 1 being the main building work and then keeping the house watertight. So my main question is, would a conservatory across the back of the house do the same job, but cheaper? Any drawbacks?

Edited by Lets

+1 to putting conservatories on the N side not any other for practicality and use for more than half the year, and for maximising wall if you have one, plus high insulation etc.

But for a relatively very small only 1/3 difference I would do the extension.

If you are doing a conservatory you want it to be 60-80% cheaper imo than the extensions, as it will not add value unlike an extension, or not as well.

If money saving is the real object then get a second hand conservatory ... loads of people upgrade to an extension, or put it on the south side and nearly fry their dogs, or people who buy a house with a conservatory, and want a real room. Then plan to upgrade later (eg make your slab thick enough for a timber frame extension).

Look on ebay. You can save 90% on the conservatory itself. There are even companies that deal in them and will come and install.

I did a 4m x 6m one for £7k toto (secondhand conservatory cost was £600, delivered) including excavations and the slab etc, and insulation to a standard that it is now the lounge, and a tin roof as it had wooden joists and could not be seen easily. I deliberately went for one with "insulated lower half" panels to have something that I could just attach to a flat slab and wall / wallplate with appropriate screws and thunderbolts.

(And industrial amounts of sealant.)

The trick is to know what will work for you, and wait for something that will fit within your parameters, then check it carefully. Wait for one that is local and GO AND LOOK AT IT BEFORE BIDDING.

Or reduce risk and have a secondhand conservatory company do it for you.

I put mine outside an external spec door to avoid some regs, and make sure that the house could be isolated.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1