Hey !

i have a vat invoice that doesn’t show vat . Just total cost of goods . Company is vat registered .

i queried this and they said if it’s below £250 they don’t have to legally show the vat . When I claim at the end of the build there are 2 forms ; one for receipts showing vat ; the other not . This correct ? . I’ll still get the vat back on this ? - I’m assuming it’s a receipt ( like from a store ) which doesn’t show vat .

cheers 

2 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Mine didn’t have two forms, all receipts were on the one list but obviously ones from shops didn’t have the vat separated, I just made the calculations myself and entered them in the appropriate column 

And that was allowed ok ?

10 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Yes no problem at all they accepted my whole claim even some that I thought they’d probably reject , paid out within 10 weeks of making the application 

I was just worried that a receipt I remember today I’m not going to remember in n years time !

6 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

To be honest with you I had a book that I updated regularly when buying stuff, it served as a running total for me but also helped with the vat , 

Oh I’ve done the same . Spreadsheet and every receipt in a folder - all numbered .

Just didn’t want the tax man questioning when of course I’ll have no memory of why it doesn’t show vat .

• Haha 1

It doesn’t have to show the VAT separately, that’s why there are 2 parts to the claim form. And it’s not just for items up to £250, I had an invoice like that for a few thousand and the reclaim was paid. It must have the VAT number on and the supplier, and preferably your name and say ‘invoice’. If it’s just a till receipt you may still be successful however. 

I did separate mine into 2 forms as per the online form. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, newhome said:

did separate mine into 2 forms as per the online form. 

That’s odd! I asked for the forms to be sent out to me and there was only one form (made up of several pages) nothing to separate types of invoices. I had a good few till receipts which I made the calculations for, all paid, in fact the form was exactly the same as it was back in 2008 when I did my last one and quite straightforward 

1 hour ago, Christine Walker said:

That’s odd! I asked for the forms to be sent out to me and there was only one form (made up of several pages) nothing to separate types of invoices. I had a good few till receipts which I made the calculations for, all paid, in fact the form was exactly the same as it was back in 2008 when I did my last one and quite straightforward 

When I say forms, I meant the different sections of the claim form. Section D (where VAT is shown separately) is a slightly different format from Section E (where VAT is not separately shown and you need to work it out). 

58 minutes ago, newhome said:

When I say forms, I meant the different sections of the claim form. Section D (where VAT is shown separately) is a slightly different format from Section E (where VAT is not separately shown and you need to work it out). 

Definitely wasn’t like that on the forms they sent me , I just had to list every invoice and number them  to correspond with how I had listed them no matter how the vat was shown or not shown, only thing I did was put all the ones that weren’t in my name onto the form last with an asterisk beside them and an explanation underneath. Obviously the online form differs from the paper copy.

2 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Definitely wasn’t like that on the forms they sent me .... Obviously the online form differs from the paper copy.

Sounds like it! Nothing like a bit of consistency ;)

• Confused 1