New water supply - plumber required?

BotusBuild

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but my searches are obviously not good enough ...

I have a new water supply site survey arranged (for a single dwelling of 3 bedrooms), and some of the documents I've read on the SW Water website seem to indicate that a plumber is needed to provide the pipework from the property side, but this seems to be something that any competent DIYer can achieve.

My intention is only to connect to a stand pipe to start with (along with the appropriate non-return valve or check/double-check valve), and I figure I can dig a 750mm deep trench and drip a few metres of 25mm blue pipe for SWW to connect to their equipment.

My question therefore is - am I allowed to dig that trench and provide the short length of blue pipe?

Follow on question #1 - can someone point me at a specification for the width, depth of the trench and what infill should be used below and around the pipe (pea shingle?)

Follow on question #2 - can someone point me at the spec for the valve/s need on my side before I get to the standpipe?

Thanks

Definitely yes in my experience.

Scottish Water do a "track inspection" before they will authorise connection.  My advice is connect ONLY a short length of pipe connecting to the site standpipe to make that inspection easy. Then you connect the house later when it is built with no further inspection.

4 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

As for the trench, I don't believe such things as pea shingle are required - see photo of ours installed by our plumber 18 months ago. The depth will depend on what else you plan to put in the trench.

I see three "valves". Could you explain the one in the middle (the brass one). I assume the upper and lower ones are simple isolating valves.

9 hours ago, BotusBuild said:

[...]am I allowed to dig that trench and provide the short length of blue pipe?

[...]specification for the [...], depth of the trench and what infill should be used below and around the pipe (pea shingle?)

[...] can someone point me at the spec for the valve/s need on my side before I get to the standpipe?

Your  Utility company will answer all those questions (United Utilities in our case). For us the answers were;

• Yes.
  • 900mm below ground level, with a protective wire reinforced  plastic mesh laid at 300mm below ground level. There was no infill spec. But the inspector suggested ' ... soft earth ...' Use ducting.
  • You need a non return valve and a stop tap.

• Thanks 1

This is the arrangement we were given by Scottish water for our standpipe (which never actually happened as they took so long to make the connection)1584654030_Standpipearrangement.thumb.jpg.e4ac653e5176f78e2a5ef5aa38ba05dd.jpg

they were sticklers for how everything had to be done, 900mm down for the pipe , had to be through blue ducting with pea gravel and had to be in a straight line, we had it in a large sweeping curve to enter the house at the side but they wouldn’t pass it and we had to relay it in a straight line entering the building from the front.

• Thanks 1