Best practice for ripping out our bathroom

H F

Given our recent leak we’ve decided to gut our bathroom and give it an update.

Once the shower and bath are gone, what is the best practice to seal the waste pipes so that smells don’t waft back in while we wait for our plumber to come back and move our piping around?

Plastic bag and duct tape.

You can get both from Lidl/Aldi.

If you take the wc out you might want to invest in a test bung.

Best practice overall is have another bathroom to use then you can take forever! ?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Best practice overall is have another bathroom to use then you can take forever! ?

We have two we can use, and was a massive factor in our decision because this going to take a while.

Edited by Home Farm

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

“Learning curve”, I love learning new stuff, it’s what makes a build enjoyable.

It’s definitely going to be a learning curve, and quite a steep one in some places. It’s going to be testing, I’m sure, but hopefully it’ll be good fun too. 

Did the first easy bit today by ripping out the shower (glass and tray). 

Edited by Home Farm

28 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Nice looking sample, similar to what the bums seem to be drinking in Market Jew Street.

It's Dettol in the bucket! (I really struggle with poo and drain smells. I even wear a dust mask with a few drops of neat lavender oil inside when doing stuff like that).

When I took the yellow bung out of the soil pipe in the wall I quickly put the plastic bag over the open end. The bung that had been stuck in the smelly pipe went straight in the Dettol.

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

It's Dettol in the bucket! (I really struggle with poo and drain smells. I even wear a dust mask with a few drops of neat lavender oil inside when doing stuff like that).

You'll need a few drums of Dettol then when you replace your cesspit/septic tank.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

You'll need a few drums of Dettol then when you replace your cesspit/septic tank.

If ever that gets done I assume you firstly get it fully emptied then collapse the lid in with a digger?

Do you attempt to sanitise the area in any way? Lime over it? 

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

If ever that gets done I assume you firstly get it fully emptied then collapse the lid in with a digger?

When I got rid of our very small cess pit I had it pumped out and collapsed it with the JCB like @Onoff said above then covered it in solid yellow clay and puddled it to form a seal and topped it off with garden soil.

NOTE, if anyone wants yellow clay I have about 50 tons F.O.C. ?

Edited by joe90

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

After we had installed the new sewage treatment plant and connected the old bungalow to it we removed the septic tank. We had it emptied and I hosed the inside of the tank while it was happening. I then got the farmer to dig it out completely. It was rendered brick. He back filled it with earth compressing each layer with the bucket

17 hours ago, Home Farm said:

Given our recent leak we’ve decided to gut our bathroom and give it an update.

Once the shower and bath are gone, what is the best practice to seal the waste pipes so that smells don’t waft back in while we wait for our plumber to come back and move our piping around?

Three comments:

1 - Take as much time as you need to understand it all, as I have argued before.

2 - When you discover unexpected things underneath, then fix them properly. I am sure you will.

3 - I have had 2 bathrooms done this summer, which were inherited from the self-builder and were the wrong way round (bath downstairs) with basic problems. I have written about one so far in exhaustive detail, with links here. There may be useful information there,

(If you pay much more than about £100 for a normal 8mm shower screen plus steady bar, you are overpaying. Ditto about £250 for a walk in shower tray, Ebay. Unless you have a specific requirement.)

As ever, the moneysaving ethos is to find products of an acceptable quality less expensively and being set up to exploit that (eg advance purchase, storage space, some flexibility in spec etc), rather thank getting cheap products that turn out to be nasty.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Next step is for me to remove the shower tray... it’s on a wood frame but can’t make out how it’s fixed to the frame. I assume it’s not screwed in. How are these typically fixed so that I can remove it?

E117644F-530C-44C6-8384-C0C803C33B48.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

smack with a lump hammer.  Wear goggles.

+1.  Can you disconnect the waste first (through that access hole) just to make sure you dont break anything that doesn't want breaking?  It looks like the frame is screwed together; might be less messy to remove some screws and try and knock a piece out to see what's going on.