MVHR location help

Hello all,

My architect specified for the MVHR to be in our boot room, however I'm not too keen on this location for a couple of reasons:

• Space in limited in the boot room and I'd rather not 'waist' the space
  • As the ceilings are vaulted we'd need to loose ceiling hight to run the ducts.

Here are my plans (reduced and cropped!) :

https://home.glasscubes.com/share/s/76t2kj2tpr0ugkdr8i72lbdp20

I'm thinking about putting the MVHR unit in the garage, or alternatively I'm thinking about putting a flat ceiling in the office and putting the MVHR and perhaps the ASHP components above that (it will be a warm space). I'm aware though the MVHR units themselves can be somewhat noisy. If Iocate in the garage I was thinking high up on the inner wall as possible as to not loose space in the garage, as I do actually put my car in the garage. Will I need to insulate the unit and pipes? The other point I don't really know about is where to locate the external supply / extract pipes. We have a zinc roof , and I want to keep the lines of the building as clean as possible (as we are having hidden gutters etc), I don't want pipes just sticking out. We plan to have a false ceiling running down the center corridor to run all the ducting and other utilities.

Any ideas or advice very welcome.

Besides insulation, the problem with the garage is it's presumably outside the airtight boundary so you'll need to seal all ducts running out to it. 

How tall will the void be above the central corridor false ceiling? Could you have a descent sized hatch and put it up there? Putting it centrally will keep the duct run lengths down (more useful if you're using radial layout) but no idea about the external duct runs from there. 

1 minute ago, joth said:

Besides insulation, the problem with the garage is it's presumably outside the airtight boundary so you'll need to seal all ducts running out to it. 

How tall will the void be above the central corridor false ceiling? Could you have a descent sized hatch and put it up there? Putting it centrally will keep the duct run lengths down (more useful if you're using radial layout) but no idea about the external duct runs from there. 

I'm just reading up on air tightness so my knowledge is minimal - however would it be that hard to seal around them?  The void would be as small as I can get away with but I suspect about 2 feet.

12 hours ago, gc100 said:

The other point I don't really know about is where to locate the external supply / extract pipes. We have a zinc roof , and I want to keep the lines of the building as clean as possible (as we are having hidden gutters etc), I don't want pipes just sticking out. We plan to have a false ceiling running down the center corridor to run all the ducting and other utilities.

Any ideas or advice very welcome.

Here's a few points that may help. Our MVHR unit is very quiet, but it could be because it is very heavy and floor standing. External vents can be almost flush to the wall so not very visible. Wherever the unit is installed there should be ample space around it so changing filters and general maintenance is easy. This is a list of tips that I researched when installing our system.

1. The inlet and outlet grilles should be 3m apart to prevent cross contamination of air.

2. The inlet and outlet grilles should be high enough (2m) to prevent interference by animals or children but low enough for easy cleaning.

3. The inlet and outlet grilles should be on the same wall so they are affected equally by the wind.

4. The free flow area of the grill including insect screen should be at least as great as the cross sectional area of the duct.

5. The duct should be smooth wall to reduce air flow restriction.

6. Any ducting bends should be large radius of curvature or two 45 degree bends to reduce air flow restriction.

7. The ducting to the inlet and outlet grilles should slope downwards slightly to ensure any moisture drains to the outside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1