Extending a supply

ianfish

We are very much at the lets see what we can do stage with our build refurb

I have emailed 20 local gas safe engineers to see what they come back with

I have posed two questions

How much to extend a supply  (what term should I be using?) into a new build portion of the property which has an existing supply I surmise this can be added too?

Gas is something id sooner pay to get done unless it is really straightforward in extending, I cant seem to find much reference material online though as yet.

The boiler in its current location would be in the middle of our new idea of how we are attempting to configure our build, what are peoples views on location of central heating boilers?

Just have to say enjoying reading this forum its been a huge relief seeing others take on things!

Ian 

gas.jpg

10485_4623062_IMG_07_0000_max_135x100.jpg

1140.jpg

Edited by ianfish

8 minutes ago, ianfish said:

The boiler in its current location would be in the middle of our new idea of how we are attempting to configure our build, what are peoples views on location of central heating boilers?

firstly are you asking if you can move a meter yourself ..? Anything prior to the meter has to go through the Cadent or whomever you gas transporter is. No exceptions. 

On the boiler - I much prefer loft mounted ones now - if the gas pipework is done properly, you are much better doing that as you have a lot more flue options. 

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

firstly are you asking if you can move a meter yourself ..? Anything prior to the meter has to go through the Cadent or whomever you gas transporter is. No exceptions. 

On the boiler - I much prefer loft mounted ones now - if the gas pipework is done properly, you are much better doing that as you have a lot more flue options. 

Ta for the reply

Firstly I Never mentioned a meter!

We have a boiler stuck in the corner of the kitchen which will become further to the centre of the property, you can jut see the exhaust pipe the boiler is in a cupboard.

I would think the gas supply ends around here. We need it to go into a new build past the fridge which isn't ours BTW. 

Ian

10485_4623062_IMG_07_0000_max_135x100.jpg

Ok - terminology ..!! A Supply I would deem is the supply pipe up to the meter. 

If there is no outside wall then you’ll need a very long flue, with inspection hatches where the joins are, and that will be probably £3-500 depending on length. 

Second option is move the boiler - depends on what’s above it  and how far you want to move it. Your limitation may well be the gas supply as over a certain distance (and based on boiler size) then you may need to upgrade the whole of the boiler gas pipe from meter to boiler in 28mm pipe - either copper or Tracpipe - but that’s not a small job if you’re not changing other parts of the internal layout. 

Have you got a quick sketch of where you want to move things and the existing meter and boiler locations ..??

2 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

It's illegal to do it yourself, I believe.  Unlike DIY electrical work, which may be just a breach of regulations that aren't law, doing work on gas pipework or appliances is a criminal offence unless you're Gas Safe registered, I think.

Building regs are statutory instruments I thought?

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Building regs are statutory instruments I thought?

Yes, but wiring regs aren't, so failing to comply with BS7671 isn't an offence.  Also, the approved documents (and Part P is an approved document) are not the building regulations, they are contained within the Building Act 1984.  The approved documents are just a recommended way of demonstrating compliance with building regulations, but they aren't the only way to demonstrate compliance.

22 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

It's illegal to do it yourself, I believe.  Unlike DIY electrical work, which may be just a breach of regulations that aren't law, doing work on gas pipework or appliances is a criminal offence unless you're Gas Safe registered, I think.

it’s a competency thing .... if you work on your own equipment, and in your own home, and you are competent then it’s fine ...

But when it goes wrong, be prepared ....

Not unusual - I’d want to see the existing install plus a set of plans. If you move the boiler you can soon exceed the maximum length for a 15mm gas supply pipe, so basically they will need to know that to give you a price. 

• Thanks 1