Sawhorse for chainsawing on

Drama permitting, I was hoping to make a sawhorse this week to use as a chainsawing platform for firewood.

I have some old wood that would be ideal for the project when restored.

Does anyone have any advice for height, length and general design?

Make it smaller than you think. I made one with 1.5m long timbers and ended up chopping the legs off as it was too high. You want it to end up about waist height. 

I also added an extra pair of legs at one end, so would be able to cut short logs.

This is the design I based mine on:

https://www.firewood-for-life.com/sawbuck-plans.html

Edited by Conor

I think it’s all about stability when messing with a chainsaw, I like these.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-loggers-mate-24cm-log-capacity-log-saw-horse/76387?wcBtc=SB6&ds_kid=92700022855719897&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgNXtBRC6ARIsAIPP7Ru-t6JsSoMZcVQTybSsfFaFExlMq8sZcv4RiWifSHnDM8R3gnD1YdMaAnoEEALw

Long bits of log are ok on a horse but difficult to deal with the short bits. 

I bought one of these instead to stick on the back of my furgy 

F962EE01-44A5-4E27-99A5-97FC10C39C4A.jpeg

27 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I like the look of that. It looks like you can clamp a log right at the end then go along sawing off slices of the right size to then be split for the fire.

I built a traditional saw horse at the last house (but made it a built in feature of the wood shed under a verandah so it stayed there) and while it worked well to hold the logs you were lucky to get 2 slices before you had to move the log, making it very tedious keep putting the saw down * to move the log along, and really made it a 2 person job, one to keep moving the logs and one to saw.

* My chain saw has never been good at idling and even though it appears to idle at the right speed, will often just stop for no reason, so often when putting it down to move a log you then had to re start it.

I would love a Fergie with a saw bench like that but I think the Landrover would have to go if I bought one.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Are you happy with a chainsaw?

We used to use a table saw or pillar saw or circular saw - which imo are safer since they are not waving around.

Ferdinand

I think the chainsaw is the way to go, because I don’t want to buy more equipment if we can avoid it. A saw would definitely be safer.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

would love a Fergie with a saw bench like that but I think the Landrover would have to go if I bought one.

Dave, Can’t you invent a PTO to fit the land rover ?, I have a spare furgy for sale but your a bit far away!. 

This is might be good, chainsaw and and fixed bench in one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/372485192387?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=372485192387&targetid=487744081563&device=t&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045292&poi=&campaignid=1506023755&mkgroupid=63481328372&rlsatarget=pla-487744081563&abcId=1139576&merchantid=115139766&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgNXtBRC6ARIsAIPP7RuMjY0YQWw976BFAEpW-x6yhQFNXbktX50XQmL7gG2IKEOX7HIrZNEaAnQ2EALw_wcB

PTO was a standard option for Series Landrovers so no doubt I could source and fit one.

I find chainsaws to be high maintenance. That might be because I have a rubbish one.  Chains need regular re sharpening and I find I can only re sharpen them a few times.  Then they stretch and wear, Adjustment of chain tension is a regular requirement.  Then the bar wears and the chain starts jumping off (this time I have prolonged it's life by turning the bar upside down, so the worn bit is in a different place. That has stopped the chain jumping off for now but another new bar will be needed soon.)

I might try buying a couple of the really stupidly cheap chains from China on ebay, then I might not bother faffing with them so much if they are cheaper.

But I like the simplicity of a large circular saw blade with little to go wrong and a blade you can sharpen? or just replace when it gets blunt.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...