Joist Hangers - Nailed or Screwed?

wozza

Hi All,

Couple of questions about Joist hangers, (joists butted up to steel beam with timber infill)

1. Joist hangers, nailed or screwed (or both) - I have got twisted nails at the ready but I have always favoured screws over nails.

2. I have been advised to fit noggins between the joists to stop twist - how close to the hangers should they be and should they be the same depth as the joists and can I stagger them so they are easy to fix.

Thank Wozza.

Nail them.

Nails for shear loads, screws for tensile.

And dwangs/noggins should either be full depth or criss-crossed.

But if you are gluing and screwing the flooring down, that will stiffen everything up a lot too.

6 minutes ago, Adrian Walker said:

50+ nails per end?

Why don’t you check with manufacturer, that does seem a lot. Every hole, that’s what they designed them for, that’s how they will be load tested. 

Are you using a jiffy hanger, the bendy ones, if so nail the full height of the joist and bend the top over and chop off with snips. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

https://www.strongtie.co.uk/products/detail/joist-hanger-with-adjustable-height-strap/769

Number of nails needed is quite a lot less than the number of holes. E.g., JHA270/47 has 38 header holes and 6 joist holes but, with sufficient wrap over, needs only 12 header fasteners (8 on the face and 4 on the top) and 4 in the joist.