Nail GUN first fix

Cpd

I know it’s been talked about on other threads but I am following this up for a friend and wanted to clarify if this is the best gun for fist fix. 
https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/hitachi-gas-nail-gun-nr90gc2-first-fix-90mm-nailer#review-widget

I know @Russell griffiths talked highly of it but was that just by reviews ? Anyone used it ? Thanks 

28 minutes ago, BMcN said:

If I was in the market for one I'd consider these guys, been using their nails in my old paslode and they have been decent. About 30 quid a box.  https://supafixings.com/

This is the one I got when I didn’t want to spend out on a new paslode, I’m not sure I’m overly impressed. 

9 hours ago, Cpd said:

That’s the one with the good reviews. 

But looking at the price of that dewalt, I think I need to have another read up as it’s been a year since I replaced mine. ?

9 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Really I thought it had improved on early models? Used my new dewalt 2nd fix in week seems quite powerful but seems convenient you can't get a longer than 1 year warranty!

I wonder if they have changed anything, it was a year ago I looked and evybody on the dewalt Facebook page was giving them really bad reviews. 

Im going to have another look as a bare unit for dewalt is reasonable money and I have all the batteries. 

So spent a couple of hours on a dewalt site asking questions. 

It turns out that dewalt have made a type 3 gun, this is supposed to be the best one they have made still not as powerful as the hikoki but some of the lads said they are putting 10,000 nails a week through them which is a huge amount, so that’s a proper test. 

its A shame they have to make 3 versions before it’s any good. 

Something else to consider for anybody doing site work is that some some sites are banning gas powered tools. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

Good bit of research there @Russell griffiths and thanks for the update, I will let my friend know it’s a toss up between dewalt version 3 or the Hikoki, I think he is still needing quite a few tools so he is going to need to think about going with one brand to sort out the simplicity of batteries, personally I would advise him to go down the dewalt road as they have a lot of other good offerings even though I am a committed makita pilgrim. Just need to track down the no.3 version.  

• 1 month later...

Dunno anything about blockwork but I've been pretty happy with my IM360. Not used any other type of nail gun for comparison, mind you.

It's advertised as being able to drive 90mm ring nails where most others can only manage 75mm ring or 90mm smooth. It does comfortably when it's just OSB or whitewood but they need tapping in the last few mm when there's a significant amount of ply involved.

Edited by Ed Davies
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

A mate is in the market for a first fix nail gun. Looking at a second hand Paslode IM360. Any good?

Fixing cavity closers to blockwork I believe.

Not sure this is the right tool for the job. Deffo don't think it would be one of the jobs I'd be thinking I'll buy a nail gun for that 

18 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Not sure this is the right tool for the job. Deffo don't think it would be one of the jobs I'd be thinking I'll buy a nail gun for that 

His builder reckons it's the tool for the job. My first question was why hadn't his builder got one. 

14 hours ago, Onoff said:

Fixing cavity closers to blockwork I believe

I have an IM350.  They are only good for fixing to timber, not steel or blockwork.  They may work on a soft aerated block.

I thought cavity closers were mostly plastic and either built in as you go or friction fitted into existing openings.

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

I have an IM350.  They are only good for fixing to timber, not steel or blockwork.  They may work on a soft aerated block.

I thought cavity closers were mostly plastic and either built in as you go or friction fitted into existing openings.

Just spoke to him and he reckons he can borrow a gun now. Why not just blob some no nails on the back or whack a couple of clout nails in?

One thing about the IM360, though: I bought it for the lithium battery (so less messing around with charging) and on the assumption that by the time I was done with it that'd mean a better resale value. Downside being they use different nail packs as the gas cylinder is different from the IM350 and there are clones of the IM350 packs available at about half the Paslode price but weren't for the IM360. List price the IM360 was more expensive than the IM350 by enough that I wouldn't have bothered except the place I got mine had them on introductory offer at quite a lot off making the actual gun slightly cheaper although by the time I'd bought a couple of nail packs it worked out slightly more expensive. My assumption was that clone nail packs for the 360 would come along eventually.

However, since then Paslode have bought out a lithium version of the IM350 (lithium battery but, AIUI, same nail packs as the NiMh 350) so cheaper nail packs for the 360 seem less likely now. Bummer.