Boiling Water taps. What and where to buy.

1 hour ago, wozza said:

Question for boiling tap owners:

Do you need somewhere to place the cup or pan whilst filling it with boiling water?

We are considering a Quooker flex tap, the sink that we are planning to get is 700mm wide and 250mm deep - the only tap hole is in the middle so 350mm from either side of the sink / drainer. So if filling a cup or a pan we will need to hold it in one hand (weight could be an issue if a big pan) or place it in the bottom of the sink which would be quite a bit higher than the tap, so would you consider that to be an issue? 

The only other option is to modify the sink so that the tap hole is close to the drainer so that the cup / pan can be placed there when filling.

I tend to balance pans etc on the partition between the small and large bits of the sink.

They do spit a bit, which is intentional as it reduces the impact of getting caught in the hot water.

• Thanks 1

We just hold pan / cup in right hand and turn tap on to fill.  Never been a problem.  We have a spare kettle in the utility room.  Never used it.  Have a look at the boiling tap from Costco.  Does same as Qooker as far as I can see but far cheaper.

• Thanks 1

I was chatting to a kitchen place today and when we discussed having a boiling water tap he said if I have a gravity fed system (which I do) then most of the taps on the market won't work properly as the normal hot water tap will just dribble out, or at least not be good enough. I forget the name of the one he said would work, but he basically said that was the only one which would work properly and everything else wouldn't.

None of the other kitchen places I've spoken to have said this to me, albeit I can't recall whether they asked me about my water pressure, so I was a bit surprised so wanted to ask people's views and see whether any of you have had issues?

I assume you're looking at multifunction mixer taps with boiling water.

If you get a tap with boiling water only, not a multifunction one, it'll work fine as they just need a mains cold water supply. There's many to choose from. 

If you would prefer multifunction look at the Quuoker Combi, as this does it all from a cold mains feed.

3 hours ago, joth said:

I assume you're looking at multifunction mixer taps with boiling water.

If you get a tap with boiling water only, not a multifunction one, it'll work fine as they just need a mains cold water supply. There's many to choose from. 

If you would prefer multifunction look at the Quuoker Combi, as this does it all from a cold mains feed.

Ah OK, yes they were all 3 in 1 taps. So If it's a separate one no problem, but if I want a 3 in 1 then need something like the Quooker combi that does it from the cold water mains supply. 

Excellent many thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2021 at 22:25, ProDave said:

The replacement water boiler arrived today, very prompt service, and I have just fitted it and it's working.

For anyone reading this, it's a Lamona branded boiling water tap from Howdens, the water boiler was badged Redring, but it turns out it is made by ProBoil.  The original one was a Proboil 2 and the replacement is a Proboil 2X  Their website is here http://www.proboil.co.uk/

On my third proboil unit now.  First one packed in last aug after a year, like yours failed to heat.  Replaced like for like under warranty.

Very recently the replacement started to leak, not immediately evident where.  Replaced again under warranty with a 2x.  Not sure about yours but mine siphons back from the tap.

• 4 months later...

So after 6 years our Quooker tank is shagged. We live in a hard water area so I’ve had to descale it a few times, which in itself is not that tricky. 

However the seal between the water intake and the brass lid has obviously been weeping as I found a leak today and upon opening it a corroded interior. Amazed it had not tripped the power.

Tap is fine, but it does not look like you can just replace the tank? Plan to call Quooker tomorrow to confirm but I’ll be pd off if the only option is to get a whole new unit, tap and all.

We replace it with something and I plan to use a softened cold feed for the tank to avoid scaling as there is one adjacent. The branded sea along systems are very expensive. Have tested the hard water and we’re just within the limit to allow the softened equivalent to be potable.

2 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

So after 6 years our Quooker tank is shagged. We live in a hard water area so I’ve had to descale it a few times, which in itself is not that tricky. 

However the seal between the water intake and the brass lid has obviously been weeping as I found a leak today and upon opening it a corroded interior. Amazed it had not tripped the power.

Tap is fine, but it does not look like you can just replace the tank? Plan to call Quooker tomorrow to confirm but I’ll be pd off if the only option is to get a whole new unit, tap and all.

We replace it with something and I plan to use a softened cold feed for the tank to avoid scaling as there is one adjacent. The branded sea along systems are very expensive. Have tested the hard water and we’re just within the limit to allow the softened equivalent to be potable.

How are you going to soften the water? If with salt, I hope nobody in your household suffers from high blood pressure.

12 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Interesting timing. Our Quooker is a similar age to yours, and we started having issues with the tap a few weeks ago. It turns on, you can hear the relay clicking, but nothing comes out.

After some testing (with guidance from Quooker, who've been very helpful I have to say), it's become apparent that there's a blockage in the flex to the tap, or within the tap itself. They've said it's possible that the internal pipe in the tap could have twisted over time. Annoyingly, it isn't serviceable, so the only solution is replacement of the whole tap at something like £200 for chrome, or £260 for stainless. Also annoyingly, they no longer make the brushed finish we have with the current tap.

When I get a moment, I plan to take it off the sink and see whether some scale has clogged it. If so, hopefully I can descale it.

15 hours ago, Adsibob said:

How are you going to soften the water? If with salt, I hope nobody in your household suffers from high blood pressure.

We have an ion resin exchanger that uses salt but provided the hardness is at or below a certain level then there is no risk. Also it's just hot water for tea & coffee so again, risk minimised.

5 hours ago, jack said:

Interesting timing. Our Quooker is a similar age to yours, and we started having issues with the tap a few weeks ago. It turns on, you can hear the relay clicking, but nothing comes out.

After some testing (with guidance from Quooker, who've been very helpful I have to say), it's become apparent that there's a blockage in the flex to the tap, or within the tap itself. They've said it's possible that the internal pipe in the tap could have twisted over time. Annoyingly, it isn't serviceable, so the only solution is replacement of the whole tap at something like £200 for chrome, or £260 for stainless. Also annoyingly, they no longer make the brushed finish we have with the current tap.

When I get a moment, I plan to take it off the sink and see whether some scale has clogged it. If so, hopefully I can descale it.

Tank is easy to descale, if you call the help line they send a free kit. Is the thin hot water hose from tank to tap not replaceable?

I called them today and an engineer call out is £150+VAT plus parts on top but two week wait. However they will send me a complete new tank for £250 in 2 business days provided the courier can take the faulty one back for refurb.

Pleased with that, was expecting a much higher cost.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Tank is easy to descale, if you call the help line they send a free kit.

Yes, I descaled it before I contacted them.

52 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Is the thin hot water hose from tank to tap not replaceable?

I need to check, but I believe it's in one piece from the screw-on tank connection at one end of the flex to the outlet of the tap. From memory, the flex connection from the tank is swaged to the bottom of the tap tube, so can't be replaced.

Interesting - the cold feed to our fusion tap split a few months ago, it was quite long and had been looped when installed.

Must have perished on the bend as it stated to leak, probably after me moving the tank again to descale.

Those ones are standard tap hoses though so easy and cheap to replace.

• 5 weeks later...
On 14/05/2021 at 20:06, Adsibob said:

Does anyone have a pronteau by abode?  http://www.pronteau.co.uk/4-in-1/propure-monobloc-swan/configure

Just bumping this up in case anyone has purchased one of these in the last 6 months

On 14/05/2021 at 20:17, Adsibob said:

Or a Prima: https://www.ergonomicdesigns.co.uk/product/BPR405~prima-plus-3-in-1-kitchen-mixer-tap-in-matt-black.html which isn't a bad price for WRAS approved and 10 year guarantee

Or one of these?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm...impressed by how robust the Quooker elements are to abuse by previous owners. I'm...less convinced I'd always want tea made from one of these if I don't know the owner though!

PXL_20211128_181124992.jpg.46bd91f3c985cee2600c5f3a71766d3c.jpg

PXL_20211128_181239390.thumb.jpg.5dff442fd2aecc1f5f2a701db9367ac6.jpg

PXL_20211128_181556369.jpg.da0e5f7155a7f9f87ef2ebb291944bff.jpg

PXL_20211128_182106193.thumb.jpg.527b1ce72440d3271c96354d06e818ab.jpg

PXL_20211129_002821246.jpg.dc8229a270b9111ab07f04c87ed9df56.jpg

Bought used for not a lot. 4 years old. Shouldn't think it's ever been serviced. The mind boggles at the how some folks think things should be maintained. (the woman just replaced the entire tank and tap thing at full retail plus fitting)

It's been given the Cambridge treatment (no prisoners taken with descaling around these parts - 80-20 warm water and brick cleaner every other month if you're a kettle) and will be happy one it's got an outlet filter again. For what it's worth the service items are surprisingly reasonable for the Quooker units given what the original items retail at:

£30 for a tap valve

https://www.quooker.co.uk/tap-valve-31-103-00.html

£25 for the filter 

https://www.quooker.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/180/s/hitacr-filter-31-004-00/category/46/

Or £95 for a complete set of internals:

https://www.quooker.co.uk/pro3-vaq-internals-31-196-00.html

~12 mins to recharge 3 litres at 1600W

~15 mins to recharge 7 litres at 2900W

Unsure which to bring with me back to Lithuania as yet.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All the ones I have seen, the boiling water is delivered slowly.  Fine for filling a cup of tea or coffee.  I think it is done for safety, would you really want boiling water coming out at the same rate your cold tap could deliver and splashing everywhere?