Our idea...

ianfish

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I can see 9 rectangles in that puzzle ? .

Thats good...

Its a sideways half round the world elevation..

Cant seem to turn it 90'

Its a front elevation of the back of the house.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

What prompts the angled the rear glazing of the day/dining room?

Hi Epsilon...G

It mirrors the boundary up the garden

I didnt want a rectangle just plonking on the back but to attempt to break up the space and to hopefully add some variety intenally to  give it open plan but defined spaces across the back end of the building..

Its still fluid in how it might look...

On 25/10/2019 at 10:59, ianfish said:

A rough sketch of some of the shapes id like to consider0

boots 2wed am 091019.jpg

(Was planning to comment on this, but I got diverted down an internet rabbit hole by Serge the Llama.

(Photobombsergelama.jpg

)

Comments:

• Basic idea looks fine.
  • Need to consider orientation wrt overheating etc.
  • If that front porch bay is not already there, I think it would unbalance your facade. Rethink to be symmetrical?
  • On the porch the outer door is hinged on the wrong side imo.
  • Not convinced by the spaces around hall / utility etc. I think you want a straight path through, preferably in line with the hall. So swap over the walkthrough and divider at the back of the utility space.Depending on whether you have side access, I would consider a door at the back in line.
  • if that utility includes washing machines etc, you may have noise problems - suggest putting those away behind a door somewhere.
  • I would lose the side door (looks too much like progressing through a pinball machine but maybe OK), and turn the loo into a proper downstairs shower. If not rearrange the loo there to fit a shower at the back of the existing - looks as if it will fit.
  • I would also lose  that middle cupboard if you can, and extend the  utility space across to the downstairs loo wall, and door off the snug.  
  • Potential light issues with the bit of the L-kitchen in the middle of the house. Perhaps bigger skylights at the back  of the L as far as poss - leaving enough walking on the roof space to maintain your wall.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

37 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Comments:

• Basic idea looks fine.
  • Need to consider orientation wrt overheating etc.
  • If that front porch bay is not already there, I think it would unbalance your facade. Rethink to be symmetrical?
  • On the porch the outer door is hinged on the wrong side imo.
  • Not convinced by the spaces around hall / utility etc. I think you want a straight path through, preferably in line with the hall. So swap over the walkthrough and divider at the back of the utility space.Depending on whether you have side access, I would consider a door at the back in line.
  • if that utility includes washing machines etc, you may have noise problems - suggest putting those away behind a door somewhere.
  • I would lose the side door (looks too much like progressing through a pinball machine but maybe OK), and turn the loo into a proper downstairs shower. If not rearrange the loo there to fit a shower at the back of the existing - looks as if it will fit.
  • I would also lose  that middle cupboard if you can, and extend the  utility space across to the downstairs loo wall, and door off the snug.  
  • Potential light issues with the bit of the L-kitchen in the middle of the house. Perhaps bigger skylights at the back  of the L as far as poss - leaving enough walking on the roof space to maintain your wall.

F

front porch is sadly already there....not the best arrangement. and the door that is how it is hung! It will be addressed just not until the back end of the house is done and or well underway!

The hall area is as is really and we haven't really looked at alterations to this area. it flows better actually in the house than it looks.

It is also where the current access is and how we open out what is there over redoing RSJ's and such like, ideally the wall for me would be out but that would take a chunk of budget which for me leaving the former original exterior wall for me helps to create a zone beyond the wall into the new.

I had considered noise and maybe the utility could be rehomed somewhere less obtrusive, and yes we are planning in encasing it all if it remains as per drawing. If we clear this area further its part of the current kitchen how could we put the area to use?

The side door will be added as I want to have a division between current building and the new being sort of indoor outdoor type thing....

The loo currently has a shower which takes up space in the L shaped kitchen , it looks like this was added after the current toilet extension, we already have two bath sowers upstairs so the shower goes..

The middle cupboard remains it is in fact the under the under the stairs which could easily have a loo in it without being cramped if one wasn't already present, this is an attempt at making good what we have over a clean slate approach and with an eye on cost.

As for light we intend to have roof lanterns and or similar we have not discussed sizes or proportions as yet ( I just reused a lantern that existed and did a copy and paste more for illustration over  actual!), Lighting across the 27' would be mixed in part helping set what the space is to be used for, and Id like the what would become middle room to be that bit darker anyway and. the bi folds we are looking at have minimal frame and maximum glass  

Ta for your comments, I hope mine go someway to answer yours

Edited by ianfish
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Id love to get some of this.

We have a new doorway in the hall and this we beleive is some original detail around the front door.

So far the best i can find is a four beed reed from BQ.

Overall its about 2" wide.

I havd found a company that will replicate the shape exactly but need a minumum order of 40m. Sadly I only need 8m at most.

Thoughts anyone?

20191124_220618.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ordered this be interesting reading

I've took an interest in Connell and his alternative modern metroland ideas

I'd like a striking modernist extension to go with our "metro/deco" semi

Screenshot_20200605-195305_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1