How not to Roof

Visti

3 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

Maybe just me ,but   i would have to cover that frilly flashing it with something .

Is there a reason why you could not use lead backed flashband  from frame to roof -- it sticks and shapes very well if applied correctly ?

I think it’s just you ?..... done correct it’s just fine and it works. It’s an integral part of the velux flashing, you could use a flat flashing and then put foam strips to stop water blowing up if you were really fussed...... 

1 minute ago, Cpd said:

I think it’s just you ?..... done correct it’s just fine and it works. It’s an integral part of the velux flashing, you could use a flat flashing and then put foam strips to stop water blowing up if you were really fussed...... 

or use flashband at the end of the flat type  to finish off+stop water being driven under with wind ?

4 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

I have to admit, looking at @Cpd's roof, I'm wavering towards wriggly tin rather than box profile.

Well if you ever want to come and have a look pm me, however I am just about to head up to your neck of the woods for two months work in Aviemore at the end of this month. Box profile is great but personally I like the traditional use of tin in Scotland and feel it looks more in keeping with the local vernacular. 

5 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

or use flashband at the end of the flat type  to finish off+stop water being driven under with wind ?

Your on your own mate, I really don’t think it’s an issue but we all have our PERSONAL preference and I respect that, flash band away if that’s your thing ....... 

Just now, Cpd said:

Well if you ever want to come and have a look pm me, however I am just about to head up to your neck of the woods for two months work in Aviemore at the end of this month. Box profile is great but personally I like the traditional use of tin in Scotland and feel it looks more in keeping with the local vernacular. 

tin is certainly not a traditional use in scotland other than for cattlesheds +even those would have been slate when built  if made from stone  -- --slates are traditional 

hey what ever floats your boat !

my neck of the woods is about 250 miles from aviemore

on s/w coast between dumfries and stranraer

1 minute ago, Cpd said:

Your on your own mate, I really don’t think it’s an issue but we all have our PERSONAL preference and I respect that, flash band away if that’s your thing ....... 

won,t be using tin roof anyway.

it will be traditional --slates even if they are man made ones .LOL

16 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

tin is certainly not a traditional use in scotland other than for cattlesheds +even those would have been slate when built  if made from stone  -- --slates are traditional 

hey what ever floats your boat !

https://www.arct.cam.ac.uk/Downloads/ichs/vol-3-3097-3116-thompson.pdf

sorry mate but that’s not quite right......  some light reading for you. 
anyway I am holding fast on my personal view that tin has been widely used for a long time in the Scottish landscape and would be far more in keeping than box profile....... 

15 minutes ago, Cpd said:

https://www.arct.cam.ac.uk/Downloads/ichs/vol-3-3097-3116-thompson.pdf

sorry mate but that’s not quite right......  some light reading for you. 
anyway I am holding fast on my personal view that tin has been widely used for a long time in the Scottish landscape and would be far more in keeping than box profile....... 

agreed when compared to box profile yes -but if we did a survey by numbers then slate roofs on dwellings would be 90%  at a guess.

and that doc you sent me too is mainly victorian prefabs  - we have some around here village halls and hunting lodges  and they all look like they should be in australia .LOL

we will aree to differ on what constitues traditional -

in "brave hearts" time there would be  more thatched roofed cottages  ,as the peasants could not afford  slate   and as time went by they were converted to slate

I drive by many houses every day built in the 1700,s --all are sarking boards with slate on top --not a tin roof in sight  

I doubt planning would allow a tin roofed dwelling in any town or village --not in keeping with the rerst  of the surrounding buildings. 

not saying i agree with them --I am one for variation and allowing people to build what ever they  want

Edited by scottishjohn

Good news is I think the contractor felt ashamed enough to apologise and rectify the work on one roof today. Turns out being a reference for half the other self builders in the development has some sway when they realise it!

Taken today and tomorrow off from work to supervise onsite directly and ensure the rest gets fixed too. 

Thankfully I had spare material for the car port which can be cannibalised for this, and they'll be paying for replacements directly out of their fees.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Cpd said:

@scottishjohn

The house across the road, built around 1900's had a tin roof and this was replaced to slate more recently. 

17 minutes ago, Visti said:

Good news is I think the contractor felt ashamed enough to apologise and rectify the work on one roof today. Turns out being a reference for half the other self builders in the development has some sway when they realise it!

Taken today and tomorrow off from work to supervise onsite directly and ensure the rest gets fixed too. 

Thankfully I had spare material for the car port which can be cannibalised for this, and they'll be paying for replacements directly out of their fees.

Good result.

Much improved! Still some details like above the window to the PV I'll get them to adjust, but much better.

Will show more once the final two pitches are done :) 

@Cpd Thanks again for all your helpful advice. I'll be DIYing my carport myself with these sheets!

20191027_100603.jpg

20191027_101353.jpg

20191027_100553.jpg

• Like 2

Definitely a big improvement, it’s a shame you had to be the customer they got to “learn”  from but at the end of the day it’s done. When you do your car port I think you will wonder what all the fuss was about as it’s ALL in the preparation and planning, putting the tin up and fixing it is the EASY bit. Anyway glad I could have contributed something to the forum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 24/10/2019 at 20:05, scottishjohn said:

agreed when compared to box profile yes -but if we did a survey by numbers then slate roofs on dwellings would be 90%  at a guess.

and that doc you sent me too is mainly victorian prefabs  - we have some around here village halls and hunting lodges  and they all look like they should be in australia .LOL

we will aree to differ on what constitues traditional -

in "brave hearts" time there would be  more thatched roofed cottages  ,as the peasants could not afford  slate   and as time went by they were converted to slate

I drive by many houses every day built in the 1700,s --all are sarking boards with slate on top --not a tin roof in sight  

I doubt planning would allow a tin roofed dwelling in any town or village --not in keeping with the rerst  of the surrounding buildings. 

not saying i agree with them --I am one for variation and allowing people to build what ever they  want

Mate not a single house built that long ago has the original roof on it. The nails would have went after 100 years or so if that

• 1 month later...
On 23/10/2019 at 21:39, Visti said:

Just want to share how bad unsupervised workmanship can get... thrown off site until they convince me otherwise. 

Hell I could DIY this roof better than these professionals... may just have to now!

That is all, just need a vent

286764123_20191023-RoofDetails(1).thumb.jpg.f6d3c0055e3fe83be928955fbfce0bd4.jpg2140085025_20191023-RoofDetails(11).thumb.jpg.4dde1be80beacbb9600a4713832fae53.jpg

1486477224_20191023-RoofDetails(7).thumb.jpg.973e9b397323c482fd122cf44fb701dc.jpg1381603781_20191023-RoofDetails(8).thumb.jpg.f55eea0200b578eddca755fbbbdfdd22.jpg

that is not good; sorry that you have been left with that mess.