How not to Roof

Visti

Just want to share how bad unsupervised workmanship can get... thrown off site until they convince me otherwise. 

Hell I could DIY this roof better than these professionals... may just have to now!

That is all, just need a vent

286764123_20191023-RoofDetails(1).thumb.jpg.f6d3c0055e3fe83be928955fbfce0bd4.jpg2140085025_20191023-RoofDetails(11).thumb.jpg.4dde1be80beacbb9600a4713832fae53.jpg

1486477224_20191023-RoofDetails(7).thumb.jpg.973e9b397323c482fd122cf44fb701dc.jpg1381603781_20191023-RoofDetails(8).thumb.jpg.f55eea0200b578eddca755fbbbdfdd22.jpg

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, jamieled said:

I'm surprised that professional roofers would do that.

Not me, i have seen half a dozen “professional” tin roof installations and and every time there was a velux window or some other complicated section it was bodged in some way..... that’s why I did it myself, yes my roof is not perfect but it’s better than anything I have seen so far and next time I do one it will be spot on. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Ow man after all the warnings on the metal roof tread we had going....... Sorry to see this, if there is anything I can do to help advise please just ask or pm me.  Col 

Thanks Cpd, I spent an entire day off on Monday going over the install and the steps. Seemed ok on the first day as it was just the simple roof with no windows. Today's walk about was just a mess.

I decided against DIYing it following other advice in just how important it was to get the roof right. Shouldn't have listened to them and gone with your original good advice!

1 hour ago, Visti said:

Just want to share how bad unsupervised workmanship can get... thrown off site until they convince me otherwise. 

Hell I could DIY this roof better than these professionals... may just have to now!

286764123_20191023-RoofDetails(1).thumb.jpg.f6d3c0055e3fe83be928955fbfce0bd4.jpg2140085025_20191023-RoofDetails(11).thumb.jpg.4dde1be80beacbb9600a4713832fae53.jpg

1486477224_20191023-RoofDetails(7).thumb.jpg.973e9b397323c482fd122cf44fb701dc.jpg1381603781_20191023-RoofDetails(8).thumb.jpg.f55eea0200b578eddca755fbbbdfdd22.jpg

The cladco stuff is great. Really pleased with ours. 

100% go for the DIY route. 

What have they been using to cut it - are those scratches from the underside of a jig saw bouncing along the ridges?

Well that is going to be a heated site meeting with the boss of the firm.

Can you get someone experienced who does not take any s**t to accompany you?

It looks rough to me but I don't know what an acceptable standard is for this stuff.

It looks about as bad as I have ever seen on a “pro” install. IMHO it’s got to come off and then restart. You will need to repair Any holes where the fixings have gone through the roof membrane  with a very good quality tape, easy enough to do. I would also use different fixings as those are the serious agricultural ones and look a bit industrial IMHO. The ones I used are perfect and very low visual impact. As previously stated there should be as few exposed cut edges as possible, on my roof I had 4 velux and on the whole roof I had only one cut edge that was at the bottom of the roof so can’t be seen, I could of had none but I was being a cheep bastard and did not want to cut up a new sheet for the very last bit under the window as I had the perfect off cut ! Totally unacceptable and I hope you don’t have to pay them a dime.  The  cost of the materials if you got them is going to be a pain but it’s not the end of the world. String lines pre installed across the whole roof is easy as the tin just slides up under them so you can get straight lines for the fixings...... it’s all just common sense and having some bloody pride in your workmanship. 

I ve not seen any of these velux fitted to tin roof where the adpator looks good 

i would still say my idea of taking a mould off you tin roof to get the shape  and making an adaptor in GRP will be best looking and waterproof solution 

same as i did 25 years ago for my garage roof for my spray booth extractor chimney and thats 30"diameter fits so neat and once sealed own to roof it gets invisible nearly 

surely would look better if you laid some more roof over that frilly flashing at bottom of frame

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

surely would look better if you laid some more roof over that frilly flashing at bottom of frame

Errr it’s a flashing and it’s supposed to be on top of the tin.....

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

I ve not seen any of these velux fitted to tin roof where the adpator looks good 

Just not sure what part you don’t like with velux in a tin roof, these are the ones I put in and yes the lower flashing is not beautiful but it’s functional and I really don’t mind it. 

1937BF60-F2EF-4F41-93B9-7A598EF7E1A5.jpeg

7BAEA151-D365-4B02-9AAB-B9D60FD9B686.jpeg

E4A50818-7EF0-403C-99E2-E90948D37576.jpeg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Just not sure what part you don’t like with velux in a tin roof, these are the ones I put in and yes the lower flashing is not beautiful but it’s functional and I really don’t mind it. 

The big difference is yours looks so good it doesn't detract from the roof.

• Like 1

Last week they had asked to delay works and when I said no due to kock on effects they just didn't turn up. So this week they rushed. They didn't plan or think about how to operate on site in a desperate attempt to get to the next job. I had half the garden setup for them to sort and cut the material on the ground, battening to make frames to carry the material, winch to pull it up, they ignored it all!

It was heated indeed this morning. They defaulted back to excuses and them not having the right tools or equipment etc... Bad attitude really. Tried to blame me and other contractors. 

When I asked why those issues were never raised with me they said they were minor and they could work around it... A bit hypocritical.

I reviewed what exactly they were doing and pointed out that at no point were they following the installation instructions I had demonstrated to them and had printed out in my hand.

I pointed out that jig and recip saws should only be used for short stretches and curved cuts, not the full fecking length. The sheets should be upside down on a covered surface during cuts to protect the surface from scratches, they hadn't. 

I've given them today to show they can do it properly and fully rectify the installed sections. If not, I'll have to DIY as no other roofer around these parts is interested.

Should have seen the red flags. Experience gained I guess.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@Visti you’ve got a good attitude mate and you have covered your bases with written instructions and gone above and beyond your duty to provide them with a work area etc. I really hope they come good, if not stand your ground and don’t give an inch.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Visti said:

Not used steel clad but fully empathise with poor quality tradesmen ...

4 hours ago, Cpd said:

As previously stated there should be as few exposed cut edges as possible,

I'm a bit surprised there are any cut edges, exposed or otherwise. I'd assumed you order them in the appropriate lengths so cutting isn't necessary. Is that unrealistic?

I have to admit, looking at @Cpd's roof, I'm wavering towards wriggly tin rather than box profile.

3 hours ago, Cpd said:

Maybe just me ,but   i would have to cover that frilly flashing it with something .

Is there a reason why you could not use lead backed flashband  from frame to roof -- it sticks and shapes very well if applied correctly ?

3 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

I'm a bit surprised there are any cut edges, exposed or otherwise. I'd assumed you order them in the appropriate lengths so cutting isn't necessary. Is that unrealistic?

On a simple roof like mine where there are no angled cuts it’s possible to not have any cuts showing full stop. However you order the length exactly for the roof  length (cheeper to order all one length) you then need to cut down the short sections above and below the velux, this is just a straight cut across the sheet, not along its length. These cuts are then hidden below the flashings, there is a bit of jiggery pokery as you also need the turned down edge to fall into the velux gutter so you need to flip some sheets around to make this happen. Again no cuts required. You adjust the overlaps to make sure the tin that runs down the edge of the velux is a FULL length so NO CUTS. It’s usual to need to cut the tin at one end of the roof but again this is hidden under the eves flashing....  so in short YES it’s possible unless your a total tight git like me who had worked his sheets out to the very last one without and left overs..... and then realised that due to flipping the sheets around I had ended up with one cut edge that I could not hide...... buy a new sheet and plus pay £200 hauling fees.... I could live with it and put it low down hidden by the gutter ! 

• Like 1