SSE's EV tarriff. What's the catch?

pulhamdown

use battery to convert or high voltage for transmission --then transform down again to 12v  use 

" thats along way for a short cut"  to me --just need large cables 

its for clay traps that are mounted on top of a tower --so you do not have to keep carrying batteries up =down to charge them 

17 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

use battery to convert or high voltage for transmission --then transform down again to 12v  use 

its for clay traps that are mounted on top of a tower --so you do not have to keep carrying batteries up =down to charge them 

Any chance that the batteries could be changed?

Having several, smaller, 12 V batteries connected in series would reduce the current in the cable, and a DC-DC converter could then be use to get 12 V at the end.  For example, using 4 off 12 V batteries connected in series to give 48 V would reduce the current by a factor of 4, and significantly reduce the wire size needed.  4mm² wires would drop about 0.9V over 30m, next to nothing, really.  Just need a 40 A capable DC -DC converter at the remote end, or, perhaps, a fixed smaller 12 V battery trickle charged via the 48 V supply and a low current DC-DC converter, as I suspect that the 40 A load is only intermittent, as the traps reset.

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

Any chance that the batteries could be changed?

Having several, smaller, 12 V batteries connected in series would reduce the current in the cable, and a DC-DC converter could then be use to get 12 V at the end.  For example, using 4 off 12 V batteries connected in series to give 48 V would reduce the current by a factor of 4, and significantly reduce the wire size needed.  4mm² wires would drop about 0.9V over 30m, next to nothing, really.  Just need a 40 A capable DC -DC converter at the remote end, or, perhaps, a fixed smaller 12 V battery trickle charged via the 48 V supply and a low current DC-DC converter, as I suspect that the 40 A load is only intermittent, as the traps reset.

bottom line is they are peasants and don,t want or can afford to do the right thing and use 110vtraps with a generator in the shed-traps at £1550-£2000 a pop  for proper magazine units

they don,t make them any more ,but i liked the compressed air powered ones -dead simple run plastic piping anywhere and they reloaded that quick you could have 5 targets in the air at same time 

no body makes them any more -- simple air cylinder as they use on most production process lines to cock the spring 

46 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

OK - so run 230v up to them and plug in something like a trickle charger (permanently) that then charges the batteries during off periods. Quick and easy.