Redland vs Marley

Andrew

Our planning application specifies a particular Redland plain concrete tile. We're soliciting roofing quotes at the moment and one of the roofers has suggested using a Marley tile instead as it saves about £1500 on the quote. 

We've got samples of both tiles and aesthetically they are very similar - they are exactly the same size and really close on colour and texture. So much so, I'm willing to take a punt on the planning side as I don't think anyone would ever notice the difference. However it has left me wondering why the Marley tile is so much cheaper. To my untrained eye both samples just look like plain concrete tiles, but are there any other less obvious differences to be aware of that could cause issues later? Is the Redland tile much more durable for example?

Would be very interested to hear any insight into the difference. Thanks. 

You will find that your Architect has specified a. certain tile or slate to give an example 

BC won’t care what colour or type of tile you use Planning will only get involved if it looks totally different to what has been agreed 

If it is similar to what has been specified I’d go ahead and use it 

We where specified local slate 

I used Spanish 

Quote local to Preston  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Onoff said:

You can get similar tiles that are, for want of a better word, "smoother" to use on shallower angle roofs. Check the Marley ones are as suitable as the Redland for your angle.

Yeah, good point, thanks. I've double checked the technical info and they are pretty much identically. Suitable for 35 degrees to 90 degrees pitches, so fine for our roof.  

Looks like we'll go for the Marley and save some money. 

As an example see here how there's two Redland 49 variants; granular and through coloured. One suitable for shallower pitches.

My main roof is about a 45deg pitch. Theres then a shallow pitch roof at the rear. I think it's all done in granular so moss loves to take hold on the shallow pitch.

Granular surfaced tiles of the same design have a higher pitch requirement as they hold water more than a smooth tile and it can track back up the tile. I spoke to Redland tech department a few months ago.

Edited by wozza