CNC

Onoff

A mate has just asked me this. I haven't got a clue but I reckon someone here knows! ?

"Do you know much about CNC controller cards, from what I understand you can get them standard ready to run just need to connect to PC and stepper motor drives?"

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

You can get USB ones. 

mach 3 is good but limited on the free versions 

Thanks. A bit lost.... you mean a usb to parallel converter. Then Mach 3 is what hardware or software?

He wants to build a cnc table where he can use his wood router and his plasma cutter.

Sure someone on here has built their own cnc table, you, Jeremy maybe?

Yes I’ve got one. 

mach3 is the software - G-code converter for the CNC board. 

You can get just USB boards but they tend to be a bit slow as they can’t transmit as fast as you basically have a massive USB DAC overhead so the actual G-Code translation is slow. Not ideal for plasma as that needs very fast and precise control. A router can go slow, a plasma going slow just creates a dripping mess ...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PeterW said:

mach3 is the software - G-code converter for the CNC board. 

You can get just USB boards but they tend to be a bit slow as they can’t transmit as fast as you basically have a massive USB DAC overhead so the actual G-Code translation is slow. Not ideal for plasma as that needs very fast and precise control. A router can go slow, a plasma going slow just creates a dripping mess ...

I wish I knew what all this is about........ Realise how inadequate I am on some things.

30 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

@Onoff, I have a USB CNC driver here somewhere, a Mk1 Smoothstepper:  https://warp9td.com/

It's yours if you want it.  I bought it but never got around to using it, as I opted to use a stand-alone system.

Not for me. As above, it for my mate Simon. A Saffa sparks but he's alright really, we go back years. Do you want something for it? 

Edited by Onoff

30 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Not for me. As above, it for my mate Simon. A Saffa sparks but he's alright really, we go back years. Do you want something for it? 

You're welcome to pass it on to him for free.  I think I still have your address somewhere, I'll stick it in the post either tomorrow or the day after.

10 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

You're welcome to pass it on to him for free.  I think I still have your address somewhere, I'll stick it in the post either tomorrow or the day after.

You're a true gent. Thank you.

8 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Glad it arrived OK.

I've suggested he join the forum to document his build and get advice unless you know of a specific home cnc builder's forum?

He's just changed jobs where his shift pattern gives him 6 days off in a row so he needs to fill his time up somehow! :)

This was his last (abandoned) project:

https://thameshighway.wordpress.com/2017/09/30/sad-end-for-oldest-thames-tug-britannia/

"...rather criminally..." ?

Edited by Onoff