Redland Regent 12.5 degree roof pitch

dannyboy123

According to Redlands website the Regent tile can be used for roof pitches down to 12.5 degrees. Does anybody know if at 12.5 degrees you fit them like a regular tile or is there anything else that needs to be done with it being low pitch. I have emailed redland but they havent got back to me. 

26 minutes ago, dannyboy123 said:

Thankyou. Someone had mentioned that I may need to fibreglass the roof first before laying the tiles. This worried me alittle

nope - just follow the Manufacturers instructions, use a decent underlay and install that with decent laps (min 300mm) and make sure you don’t puncture it. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dannyboy123 said:

Thankyou. Someone had mentioned that I may need to fibreglass the roof first before laying the tiles. This worried me a little

No - that sounds like madness - if the tile did rely on a FG coating beneath the tile then frankly the tile would not be fit for purpose at that pitch. 

12.5 is an annoying pitch, it's there, one exists, but it's low enough that most tiles are not suitable. Make sure you do use a good quality membrane under them - that just means that if there is any really bad driving rain that makes it up under the head-lap it will be dealt with by the membrane, also make sure that you add a lifting fillet or use an eaves protector tray (total pain to fit gutter though so fit brackets first if you can) so that any water cannot pool in the low point formed where the roof meats the fascia. At least at 12.5 it will hardly exist but I always form roof edges to ensure water cannot pool - something I cannot say about all roofers. 

I would also increase the headlap slightly beyond spec.

1 hour ago, Carrerahill said:

No - that sounds like madness - if the tile did rely on a FG coating beneath the tile then frankly the tile would not be fit for purpose at that pitch. 

12.5 is an annoying pitch, it's there, one exists, but it's low enough that most tiles are not suitable. Make sure you do use a good quality membrane under them - that just means that if there is any really bad driving rain that makes it up under the head-lap it will be dealt with by the membrane, also make sure that you add a lifting fillet or use an eaves protector tray (total pain to fit gutter though so fit brackets first if you can) so that any water cannot pool in the low point formed where the roof meats the fascia. At least at 12.5 it will hardly exist but I always form roof edges to ensure water cannot pool - something I cannot say about all roofers. 

I would also increase the headlap slightly beyond spec.

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated

Just fitted lots of Regents but on a 18 degree pitch - if you are going to use the eaves clips as the second method of fixing the perimeter tiles, best order them now.

The half tiles are very good if you want to avoid small cuts  around windows etc (not cheap though)

Edited by wozza
  • Like 1

Just another couple of points about the Redland Regent tiles,

They break easy on the corners so be careful where you stand.

The tiles will not match up with other very similar tiles such as Marley Bold Roll or the Sandtoft version - they all have a different joint profile that does not lock together.