Shower tray sizing

Onto the next dilemma swirling around in my head. In the not too distant future I will be tackling the en-suite install. The shower tray is enclosed by 3 walls the intention was for a 1400 x 900 tray however the opening is now only 1350. This is as a result of plastering and probably the blockwork being just too much on the tight side to begin with. The intention has always been to multipanel the enclosure.

I really don't know what to do with this out of the following options:-

- Chase the walls to get a 1400 tray in and tank the bottom section. My concern here is that after the panels are fitted there would only be approx 10mm upstand of the tray showing.

- fit a 1300 tray and box out to suit. The problem here being using multipanel it will not go to the ceiling as we have 9ft ceilings, hence why the enclosure was plastered.

- find a custom fit tray or a 1350.

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

26 minutes ago, Onoff said:

1350mm wet room former instead of a tray? Only 850 the other way though...

https://www.tradewetrooms.com/tough-x-1350x850x22mm-wetroom-shower-tray/#wetrooom-drain

That involves tiling the floor instead then, not sure about that. Also the finished floor is already in place, aren't these designed to be recessed into the floor?

Edited by vfrdave
More info

6 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

1350 tray is the job

Found this after a quick Google

www.ukbathroomsolutions.co.uk/product/s-6-walk-enclosure-tray-1350mm-x-90mm/

That is a full enclosure and suitable for corner fits only going by the available info.

I would suggest 1300 rather than digging holes in the wall. It is still generous though careful design needed, and you will never get a bath in there should you wish to do so unless it is a tin bath.

Multipanel essentially gives you a new wall so take up the slack with extra battens, sealing should be as good and think carefully about your whole space including that behind the shower walls.

Also think carefully about how you will make your pipe work maintainable, though 50mm is not a lot to work with for that. If you are using aquapanel joints then the Multipanel will have to be dismantled from one end. This could be obsessional by me, but given a leak in 2028 I would rather dismantle one panel not six.

The last couple I have had done I have used the extra leftover to hide the gubbins and make it maintainable with a panel on the end. Most recently the self builder who did my current house turned out not to have put isolating valves in for each bath/shower, so we used it to add those and make them accessible, and allow us to run pipes on the bathroom side of the wall.

Having had my recent experience of having to make bathrooms accessible I would also put the framing in knowing where it needs to be for future potential grab rails, shower seats etc (+document for ref) ... I ended up using screws up to 150mm in one place to find a firm enough hold.

For future buggering about you will be wanting to use the first panel in the run for ease of restitution later .. eg if you install umpteen support stuff and then the person moves or pops their clogs due to reaching 93 etc. 

As has been said plan B would be a wetroom.

Just thoughts.

F

3A72208E-427D-4A4B-A363-7467E3F54E98.thumb.jpeg.39c5bb5ae87b455cc2f1e5976e2d0447.jpeg

IMG_0829-s.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

PS Given that MP is vertical all the way it will be a helluva lot of chasing out .. not like the edge of a bath.

I don't have plans to chase the whole wall just to allow the tray in, hence my concern about how much of the tray will end up covered up.

My pipes and all are in the walls already. Building out isn't that simple as I have high ceilings and therefore will have some exposed wall above the multipanel, think shower enclosure style, not sure how I would deal with that if I build out. As I wasn't planning to tile the whole en-suite how would I deal with the small return on the built out wall.

• Thanks 1

On 20/10/2019 at 22:30, vfrdave said:

The problem here being using multipanel it will not go to the ceiling as we have 9ft ceilings, hence why the enclosure was plastered.

you say the intention was always to multipanel the enclosure so you must have thought about the gap at the top?? what i would be doing is fitting a 1300 tray, battening out 1 wall then fitting the panels with a straight joint at the top with a 300mm bit of plasterboard at the top, you will have to fill in this gap with something whether the wall as strapped out 50mm or the multipanel is just stuck straight onto the plaster, these photos show what it looks like to have the plasterboard and multipanel flush with each other

IMG_20190516_144646.jpg

IMG_20190708_220400.jpg

IMG_20190708_220351.jpg

• Like 1

On 20/10/2019 at 22:30, vfrdave said:

I really don't know what to do with this out of the following options:-

- Chase the walls to get a 1400 tray in and tank the bottom section. My concern here is that after the panels are fitted there would only be approx 10mm upstand of the tray showing.

- fit a 1300 tray and box out to suit. The problem here being using multipanel it will not go to the ceiling as we have 9ft ceilings, hence why the enclosure was plastered.

- find a custom fit tray or a 1350.

1 - I think you get wider or narrower margins between the "water space" and the "edge" depending on which tray you choose. Visiting my local shower shop yesterday with a measuring tape, they had trays on display with margins from 50mm to 70mm. That may give you the extra leeway you need to cover any potential variances if you go the "chase out" route, if you can find the right tray. Or you may have already done that. But they tell me that it is not a specification item, so you would need to measure it yourself, or get the bloke at the other end to measure it and confirm by email.

Some may have a plan in their online photos which includes a measurement, but you would have to make clear that that dimension was an express requirement.

OTOH 10mm is enough, but you need to be damned sure it won't go wrong eg if somehow you lost *another* 10mm.

2 - I would avoid a 1350 tray as it sounds like a thing that may not be easily available later.  There (imo) be hidden dragons.

3 - I would go for a 1300 tray and box out. As for finishing the lower edge of the Multipanel, that is a detail which @JSHarris at least has published a detail for - involving iirc a 10mm gap at the bottom, a narrow L profile behind the panel slightly overlapping the shower tray top, and a bead of good quality silicone to seal and hide. I did similarly.

Boxing out will leave you with a 'shelf' either at the bottom or top of the multipanel.  I would put that at the top simply because it is away from the water and is less critical. There should be an easily obtained plastic profile to cover it - architrave or similar. It will just need a wipe with a damp cloth 2 or 3 times a year.

If you put the 'shelf' at the bottom, that could be done with edging tiles to match the bathroom, or even a strip of Multipanel if you have offcuts (potentially you could have several replacements for that available from your offcuts). As I say I would have it at the top away from the water. I would not expect such a Multipanel strip to last more than perhaps 5-7 years, so I would have a couple of extras in reserve.

4 - Or go wetroom somehow.

F

Edited by Ferdinand