Digital showers

We have them in my current place (albeit 10-years old models). Audible noise from the motor; prone to dumping cold water on your head after the shower is paused and restarted; all-in-all pointless.

But they do have a flashing LED.

Of the three we have, one has needed servicing. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

We have them in my current place (albeit 10-years old models). Audible noise from the motor; prone to dumping cold water on your head after the shower is paused and restarted; all-in-all pointless.

But they do have a flashing LED.

Of the three we have, one has needed servicing. 

Ah the LED’s ! I knew there was a plus side ! . Save my pennies then !

Yep fitted a couple. Mira ones are nice - they are easy to fit and well made. 

They are good as you only need to run single pipes to outlets - I’ve done one with a bath filler and that’s good as you basically push the button and it fills the bath to correct level and temperature then switches off. 

They are also a fair bit more accurate on the temperature blending than a wax cap, but if you do get a problem then they do get a bit expensive. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yep fitted a couple. Mira ones are nice - they are easy to fit and well made. 

They are good as you only need to run single pipes to outlets - I’ve done one with a bath filler and that’s good as you basically push the button and it fills the bath to correct level and temperature then switches off. 

They are also a fair bit more accurate on the temperature blending than a wax cap, but if you do get a problem then they do get a bit expensive. 

Sorry i’m Confused ?. Single pipe to outlet ????

47 minutes ago, pocster said:

Sorry i’m Confused ?. Single pipe to outlet ????

Ok. 
A digital mixer shower is a box that goes under the bath or in the attic / airing cupboard ( or ‘hot press’ if you’re a big lover of potato’s ) and takes a hot and cold feed ( can be mains pressurised with solenoids or gravity fed with pumps, all integral of said box ) and mixes both feeds into one “digitally-controlled” output. 
That single pipe output emerges in the bathroom as the riser rail / shower head feed. 
Simples. 
Do not confuse these with ‘mixer / power showers’ as they’re chalk and cheese. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ok. 
A digital mixer shower is a box that goes under the bath or in the attic / airing cupboard ( or ‘hot press’ if you’re a big lover of potato’s ) and takes a hot and cold feed ( can be mains pressurised with solenoids or gravity fed with pumps, all integral of said box ) and mixes both feeds into one “digitally-controlled” output. 
That single pipe output emerges in the bathroom as the riser rail / shower head feed. 
Simples. 
Do not confuse these with ‘mixer / power showers’ as they’re chalk and cheese. 

Ahhhhh . I see !

So how large is the mixer box ? . As I assume access is needed to it can it be any distance from the shower ?

Can I place the mixer box say in my underground dungeon and run the mixed feed (hep2o?) to a bathroom upstairs??

Fitted 3 to my barn conversion. Aqualisa Quartz, supposed to be the best, very expensive.

Over 10 years all 3 failed (one unit twice). The control boxes have no real serviceable parts so you have to buy a swap out unit which is easy to do but more £££’s.

In the current place just went for Hansgrohe units with the first fix back boxes. Simple to fit and a lot cheaper. Works the same! 

Edited by Barney12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Ahhhhh . I see !

So how large is the mixer box ? . As I assume access is needed to it can it be any distance from the shower ?

Can I place the mixer box say in my underground dungeon and run the mixed feed (hep2o?) to a bathroom upstairs??

About the size of a big shoe box for mains pressure, a bit bigger, or even two units if it’s gravity with the pump module.

You can run the pipe as far as is practical, but you’ll have to extend the signal cable that goes between the remote control ( in the bathroom ) to the unit. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Fitted 3 to my barn conversion. Aqualisa Quartz, supposed to be the best, very expensive.

Over 10 years all 3 failed (one unit twice). The control boxes have no real serviceable parts so you have to buy a swap out unit which is easy to do but more £££’s.

In the current place just went for Hansgrohe units [with the first fix back boxes]. Simple to fit and a lot cheaper. Works the same! 

What he meant to call them was “ibox”’s. 
Pretty nifty bits of kit and more robust than BoJo’s plans for a swift exit. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ahhhhh . I see !

yep done that -  Mira ones come with a 10m control cable. Only downside is the cold “leg” from the unit to the outlet but you could say that’s no worse than the dead leg from the tank to the shower mixer in a normal shower. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pocster said:

I’m struggling to see what makes these worth the extra cost .

Ok , it can warm up ; temperature is stable to within a degree ; I can set it on my phone ( even I’m struggling to see why i’d Do that )

Anyone got one ???  

If you want hot water when you get in, to be able to save water (time limited) and have different temperatures for the tribe, then a digital (smart) shower is what you need. YMMV

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adrian Walker said:

If you want hot water when you get in, to be able to save water (time limited) and have different temperatures for the tribe, then a digital (smart) shower is what you need. YMMV

If I tried that on my tribe, I would be told in no uncertain times that "the shower is faulty" and it must be replaced.

• Like 1