All wood Swiss house with no insulation​

Temp

My favourite place in the world is the Swiss alps and their houses are just fab. I think planning control must be very tight as everything is just so (but they are a very tidy nation, you never see any litter).

beautiful-traditional-wooden-house-alpin

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

And on time.

Oh yes, I remember being in Switzerland catching a train and it left when the second hand on the clock hit the 12, and you could eat your dinner off the floor of the train. On my return I had to go the Birmingham new street station ???????.

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

My favourite place in the world is the Swiss alps and their houses are just fab. I think planning control must be very tight as everything is just so (but they are a very tidy nation, you never see any litter).

beautiful-traditional-wooden-house-alpin

That'll take a big cuckoo.

cuckoo-clock.jpg.df63f7ef0a7448f0e02216916a8ee2fd.jpg

Oh yes. Swiss houses are different level. Last year I helped a mate In Zurich wiring in 2 new sockets into his fuse box in his basement.
Took us all day  because there are rules to every mm of the cable, how to lay it, which position in the wall, how it has to enter the switchboard and how it is all layed out in there, with labelling with a labelling machine (cause you CAN NOT handwrite any stuff on there, just cant)

At the end, the whole precise job has to be checked and signed off by the Canton Electrics Board representative and God beware you had a mm off the regulations.

Sounds and was extremely anal.

But as a result you can open any switchboard and also any wall in a random house and know exactly where cables are going and what they are doing. Without checking anything.

Another result is that rewiring a detached house cost you approx.  40-50k. ?

They say that in Switzerland "if it is not illegal, it is compulsory."

In the 70s I was refused entry to Switzerland because my motorbike, a Yamaha YDS3, was too noisy.

Odd how the Italians thought it was normal.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Haha 1

Roger Scruton (misquoted):

in Britain everything is permitted unless it is forbidden; 
in Switzerland everything is forbidden unless it is permitted; 
in France everything is permitted, even if it is forbidden; and 
in Russia everything is forbidden, even if it is permitted. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dreadnaught said:

in Britain everything is permitted unless it is forbidden

I thought it was a case of for every thing we have to do, we have a law that makes it illegal.

Remember when at school and you crossed your fingers behind your back, while agreeing to something.

That is government sanctioned, in fact, it is policy, now.

Great.

Edited by SteamyTea