hydraulic stone cropper wanted

scottishjohn

I used to use a guy in Australia who had a mobile hydroponic splitting rig, pre drilled the holes put the splitters in and hay presto. Also used explosive experts to split granite boulders in the Cairngorms  down to usable size lumps...... what are you trying to achieve? 

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

@scottishjohn can we ask why you want one (and don’t say to split granite!).

cos all being well -I will need to split cut granite blocks to re use them as an outer wall on new house --but no rush  --just looking for things 

see no point in using 9"+ thick ones for cladding --but 4" will be fine  and managable wright for me to work with and other halfs i can sell-- about 900sqm in the old building 

so for someone wanting to extend exsisting granite house  or wants make a real statement  ther must be a market for them 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

see no point in using 9"+ thick ones for cladding --but 4" will be fine

Would you not be better off sawing them.  There is a place around the corner from me that trades in granite, they have a saw that can cut though huge lumps of it.

Lots of noise and water.

too expensive  and  a rough finish would look better for most applications ,as thats how they were done originally.

we have one locally. but you are talking about £100 per cut on a 1m  x1m block --and lots of little ones would be more labour intensive

he is quoting £40 per sqm  to split them --but with such an amount --ithink i can sell whats left and get money back 

his guess -- for cut blocks s/h was £40-£50 sqm -so mulitply that by  900  and its alot .

could be good or bad(maybe no market for them ) --but i cannot find anybody selling reclaimed  regular sized -4 cut edged blocks granite blocks --only the random stuff still trying to work oput best way to tackle the job --,but everyone i speak to says drop it and start again   .

good facing bricks will be around  £64-£70 a sqm

and you can have a real granite outer wall for same or less!

The granite was used for liverpool docks and part of the thames embankment and london bridge ,so I am assured

i think they will sell very quick --but who knows--maybe that price is too cheap --always open to a deal --

hers a picture of the house in the 1940,s -- hidden by trees now and no roof --just walls 

Kirmabreck House old.pdf

Edited by scottishjohn

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Is there any mileage in investigating on site water jet cutting? Hugely slow I imagine though...

you get the right machine its a few seconds a block to do - so no and again it would be a smooth finish,sure if some one wants that then they could get them trimmed with the wire cutting machine 

5 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

you get the right machine its a few seconds a block to do - so no and again it would be a smooth finish,sure if some one wants that then they could get them trimmed with the wire cutting machine 

Could you water jet in such a way as retain the natural finish on the outside?

Flamed granite is a rougher finish, v.nice imo but obviously another process after cutting.

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Could you water jet in such a way as retain the natural finish on the outside?

Flamed granite is a rougher finish, v.nice imo but obviously another process after cutting.

no idea  ,i,m not a stone mason ,and i wll have neough to do --will looking to move them on as they come off the cropper

and just to make it more interesting there is at least another house and lots of other ruins that will give up cut stone .

the project is so big i get the feeling that i may be buried there before i get finished .LOL

Iwill post up complete project area, 70 acres, in the future which includes at least  3 other lifestyle or biz oppertunites ,which i wil need to move on to fund this build 

views from all are to die as they are all elevated, across the estuary -

from this house i can see across isle of man and to Ireland no problem.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

I will need to split cut granite blocks to re use them as an outer wall on new house

If they are already cut, but just too thick, sawing will leave you with two 'rough' finishes surely.

Alternatively, make some silicone moulds off the ones you like the most, then cold cast new ones.

Edited by SteamyTea

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why not just sell it on as is to a stone dealer, less money but no agro

a bird in the hand and all that

you will have enough to do, get them to demolish and remove from site. 

I may look at that option . can,t see any stone merchants anywhere close --but worth a few phone calls .

tha advantage of doing what i am proposing is I keep the original look to the house and get money  back as well

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

If they are already cut, but just too thick, sawing will leave you with two 'rough' finishes surely.

Alternatively, make some silicone moulds off the ones you like the most, then cold cast new ones.

you mean make concrete ones -- YUK and then it will cost me more 

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Does not have to be concrete.

I made some GRP stone pillars over 40 years ago.

No one knew they were fake.

They may still be on the old Excelsior Hotel in the A4 by Heathrow.

think you got idea about this job -- I need to get money back ,where ever I can to  to build it 

hence when its all finalised i will putting parts of the site,which all have very good potenial  up for sale

probably after I have got outline planning for them -  

notgoing to be a quick job-so have plenty of time to do things cheapest and best way  to get the desired result 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why not keep it on site, do one house but half stone half render around an icf shell

then sell off a couple of self build plots and supply the stone to do their bottom half. 

That house looks huge, surely you will have more than you need. 

I wll --but the downside is if ido not use all the foot print --then iloose it --can,t come back later to planning to get it back -well not easily

-as it is  it should  not need full planning as its a rebuild  of an exsisting house

24 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

I wll --but the downside is if ido not use all the foot print --then iloose it --can,t come back later to planning to get it back -well not easily

-as it is  it should  not need full planning as its a rebuild  of an exsisting house

So what, who needs a 12 bed mansion very hard to re sell, build what you want,