Alarm required

Hi, I found out this morning that a neighbour had been burgled, so I’m looking to up my security a bit. 

This is for the little shack we live in now, not the new house. 

Im looking for something easy to diy, without needing a phd in electronics. 

I would like a system that can ring a mobile phone if possible as well as making a lot of noise. 

I would like it to be as wireless as possible, I had a wireless system before that I thought was very good. 

It would need 1 door sensor and a couple of room movement sensors. 

Not looking for cheap, 

thanks russ. 

20 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

[...]

This is for the little shack we live in now, not the new house. 

[...]

Ours would be for our new house, not the little shack we've lived in since last century.

So, I'll need to put the wiring for one in now.  It would be brilliant if an electromagnetically intelligent BH member were to suggest where or how I could come by a wiring  diagram for such a system, please?

2 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

So, I'll need to put the wiring for one in now.  It would be brilliant if an electromagnetically intelligent BH member were to suggest where or how I could come by a wiring  diagram for such a system, please?

Call your local installer and get them to tell you where they would need you to put the wires (siting of the sensors is the critical art) and tell you the wire spec, and then install the cables and either fit the sensors, control unit, bell boxes etc yourself or have them do it. Of course if you have wireless then no wiring needed other than between the control unit and the bell boxes. (We have three bell boxes at millstone manor which wink and so no matter what direction you approach it is obvious we have an alarm.) At your place I would have one facing each way down the lane and one out the back. 

Edited by MikeSharp01

I have to ask what is the point of a burglar alarm for normal people, that is those who are not going to be targeted by professional thieves?

If it's not monitored and just makes a lot of noise all it will do is annoy the neighbours - if you have any. It will almost certainly not put off the burglars or generate any response from passersby.

If it's monitored the thieves will be long gone before anyone can react effectively.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/18/former-burglars-barking-dogs-cctv-best-deterrent gives anecdotal support to my view.

We've inherited one with this house and it's just a nuisance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billt said:

I have to ask what is the point of a burglar alarm for normal people, that is those who are not going to be targeted by professional thieves?

If it's not monitored and just makes a lot of noise all it will do is annoy the neighbours - if you have any. It will almost certainly not put off the burglars or generate any response from passersby.

If it's monitored the thieves will be long gone before anyone can react effectively.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/18/former-burglars-barking-dogs-cctv-best-deterrent gives anecdotal support to my view.

I've got one on a separate program at night zoned to the garage. I can assure you should it go off won't be a waste of time 

Because of our location I did not wire the house for an alarm , but all new windows and doors are latest design against break ins. The garage is alarmed but I don’t know who will do anything about it if we are not there!!! If we did decide on a house alarm I would get a wireless one.

9 minutes ago, billt said:

I think you need to think about your circumstances and see if it’s appropriate for you, if you live in spa built up area I can see your alarm being ignored. 

I have first hand hand knowledge of a system working for me. 

In our old place we had an alarm that sent me a text, it also made a noise at the house,

one day I got a text to say it had been activated, I phoned my neighbour straight away to ask him to go and look, when he answered his phone he was already standing in my front room, false alarm my wife had left the patio door open and the dog had walked in from the garden. So if you have good neighbours who keep an eye out then I think an alarm can work. 

so I think it is down to personal circumstances 

our new house I’m working on is 200m away from the old one so I will be able to hear it very clearly. 

We have a Visonic all wireless alarm. Installed about 12 years ago. Good for its day. Their Quad PIR wireless sensors seem very reliable with good battery life (especially if you turn off the onboard led). The control box is set up to dial my mobile using my land line. They had a GSM module but I've not tried it.

It's armed and disarmed using a key fob, we never use the keypad on the control panel.

As my system is quite old (no camera support) I wouldn't install the model I have again but im happy with the make and reliability and would look at their newer models to see if they have kept up-to-date date with competitors. 

3 hours ago, billt said:

If it's not monitored and just makes a lot of noise all it will do is annoy the neighbours - if you have any. It will almost certainly not put off the burglars or generate any response from passersby

Last time we were burgled  we were sleeping upstairs at the time. I could have been on the 999 call a good 5 hours sooner had the alarm still been working

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Ours would be for our new house, not the little shack we've lived in since last century.

For example:

INS045-13_(Veritas_R8+_Install).pdf

Pick the model you want then we'll see if we can get the diagram so you can have a think / plan.

4 hours ago, billt said:

You're right if someone is determined to get in, but smash and grab thieves will pick the least secure house

I hate alarms.  Maybe a good idea on a not-so-secure building site but there should be no straightforward way of breaking in to a new house.

Almost always false alarms, caused by user error or alarm fault.

Car alarms are even worse and it is often low value cars that seem the worst culprits.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I hate alarms.  Maybe a good idea on a not-so-secure building site but there should be no straightforward way of breaking in to a new house.

Almost always false alarms, caused by user error or alarm fault.

Car alarms are even worse and it is often low value cars that seem the worst culprits.

Are we talking like laminated glazing then? If someone wants in they're in. All fairness to you a dummy alarm box is probably as good in reality as a deterrent 

On 27/10/2019 at 10:43, Oz07 said:

Are we talking like laminated glazing then? If someone wants in they're in. All fairness to you a dummy alarm box is probably as good in reality as a deterrent 

We have triple glazing and either toughened or laminated inner and outer panes.  We are in town and mid terrace.  You could break in with a decent size excavator though!

Our nearest neighbour is about 200 metres away and with no street lights no one is going to come looking if an alarm goes off.

I’m probably going to install cameras that sent an alert to my smart phone. A friend has some and he works in London. His went off recently when someone approached the house and started scooping around. His have a built in microphone and speaker, so he simply asked what they wanted, it had the desired effect, they left pronto!