Hello!

daz1984

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Only ever visited "down under" as a tourist, we have familly there.  They live further up Queensland, nearest town of any size being Maryburgh.  The first time we visited they were even further north in Townsville.

Personally I would find it too hot there in the summer, if I had to live there it would need to be further south, probably south of Brisbane.

4?5months in AUS while its winter here would be fine

6 hours ago, Cpd said:

Hay there Daz, welcome to BH. I was out in the blue mountains (Katoomba) and palm beach In Sydney for 10 years, came back to Scotland 7 years ago.

Hey @Cpd thank you. We visited Sydney and the blue mountains in 2016 and loved it, beautiful area. Manly remains one of my favourite places on Earth - I had a friend who lived there and her commute involved a 20min ferry ride into Sydney harbour everyday. 

6 hours ago, Cpd said:

had always intended to switch back and forth

&

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

4?5months in AUS while its winter here would be fine

that's exactly what we talked about, the practicalities of spending x amount of months in Australia every year. With young kids we decided it can't happen really until they finish school, but i think many a 6-week summer holidays will be spent on the East Coast.

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

Personally I would find it too hot there in the summer,

Hi @ProDave. The heat is unbearable sometimes, especially in Darwin - all year its 30-35degC but during wet season humidity climbs to high 90's, we literally jump from air con to air con. Surprisingly/interestingly the boy didn't seem to react like we did - even on 30min walks through the park we'd be sweating head to toe and he'd be fine.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Like in New Zealand! 

We did a cruise around New Zealand, the place is jaw-dropping, just like the movies, and not that many people (relatively) so doesn't get busy, and they're super friendly - we was actually in Auckland for Xmas day and we got invited to someones house for celebrations! The house was set into the rolling hills, large outdoor party, made for a different Xmas experience. We did say at the time its the ideal place to live for us, apart from how far away it is from family - the journey from Aus is far enough without adding 8 hours on to go to New Zealand. 

2 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

Slate roof would look great on that house I’d say.

Thanks @Tennentslager ! Great idea. I haven't thought about the roof just yet, only that i'll want to replace in the next 5-10 years, so if the conservation team will allow i'd like to increase the angle a bit and create a decent loft space. Some Solar PV built into the roof somehow, I'm not a fan of how Solar PVs protrude (not even sure if its possible to recess PV into a roof somewhat) - someone at work mentioned Solar tiles but I've never heard of them

16 minutes ago, daz1984 said:

I'm not a fan of how Solar PVs protrude (not even sure if its possible to recess PV into a roof somewhat) - someone at work mentioned Solar tiles but I've never heard of them

Welcome

You can get regular modules that are recessed and solar tiles that look not so different from slates.  Plenty down here in Cornwall.  I drove past a community centre for ten years with a roof covered in solar slates and never realised.

Not to jump on the Aussie bandwaggon, I was worked in Neutral Bay, just outside Sydney for a while, 20 years ago.

53 minutes ago, daz1984 said:

Some Solar PV built into the roof somehow, I'm not a fan of how Solar PVs protrude (not even sure if its possible to recess PV into a roof somewhat) - someone at work mentioned Solar tiles but I've never heard of them

A few on here have them. @JSHarris for a start, @Barney12 also I think. Some pics of Jeremy's panels in this thread for instance. 

25 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Welcome

You can get regular modules that are recessed and solar tiles that look not so different from slates.  Plenty down here in Cornwall.  I drove past a community centre for ten years with a roof covered in solar slates and never realised.

Not to jump on the Aussie bandwaggon, I was worked in Neutral Bay, just outside Sydney for a while, 20 years ago.

Hi @SteamyTea thanks for the info ? i'll look into the slates, seems like something i'd go for. We never got a chance to go north of the harbour but i bet if you went back now it'd have changed massively.