temporary site toilet

redtop

I have a simple DIY OSB cubicle on site sitting on a couple of pallets, knocked-up by one of my groundworkers, with white goods and a flexi to the nearest IC. Bucket for flushing.

But I also have access to proper facilities next to the site.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a similar enquiry - I am thinking of a compost toilet - you can get a kit here to make one yourself for a few £100 - https://trobolo.com/gb/composting-toilet-inserts/

I would put it in a shed we already have. The thing is a quick look at hire sites for proper chemical portable toilets and you see talk of compliance with HSE regs. Would a compost toilet and alcohol gel to clean hands be a problem in that regard?

thanks

I put a compost loo in a shed and think that if it's properly maintained you can make a case that it is hygienic as they are widely used.  Do your research about what to do with the buckets. Apparently a urine soakaway is easily doable and would have made the buckets last much longer. Don't know what BC would say tho'.

I never had the H & S challenge, but I found it nicer to use than the stinky blue thing. I used it for quiet periods and most workers were amenable, however the electrician and plumber both had hissy fits and made me hire a blue thing. 

12 hours ago, Jilly said:

I used it for quiet periods and most workers were amenable, however the electrician and plumber both had hissy fits and made me hire a blue thing. 

Yeah, electricians and plumbers are generally drama queens 😄.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Gone West said:

Rubbish

It seems common here on individual builds to have nothing.  The tree or hedge on the plot has to suffice.  If you need anything more than a pee, go and find a public loo.

It doesn't cost a lot if you shop around. I can't see how they can make money hiring it and emptying it once a week for £20, but it saves mess on your site. It also stops them disappearing for half hours, and 'having to' have breakfast when out to use the cafe loo. So the job will go faster.

I used to argue against but am converted.....and prices have come down.

If the site allows, you can sometimes get the waste to drop into a drain, and save them emptying, but you will have  to clean it...as the workers will not.

13 hours ago, Jilly said:

I put a compost loo in a shed ...

electrician and plumber both had hissy fits and made me hire a blue thing. 

Anyone, sparky, plunger-monger, data analyst or brain surgeon - caught short will use a composting loo when really necessary. 

Hissy fit ? - Pah!  Tell 'em to clean up after themselves, and only if and when they do, you'll take notice of hissy fits.

Until then fill yer boots or fill the bog.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gone West said:

I just had a chemical toilet and some osb around it in the corner of the dungeon . Not an issue for me - but everyone else shocked . But ; when you gotta go you gotta go ! 

15 minutes ago, pocster said:

I just had a chemical toilet and some osb around it in the corner of the dungeon . Not an issue for me - but everyone else shocked . But ; when you gotta go you gotta go ! 

Probably less shocked if the OSB wasn’t only a few inches high