temporary site toilet

redtop

so, getting a portloo on site will be a pain, getting it emptied will be impossible. but I have a mains sewer connection, terminating in the pipe shown below and I have water.  So thinking I can cut pipe down, fit toilet on top and put up a toilet tent.  Pipe isn't blocked where it goes into sewer. so question is, whtas the easiest way to connect from a garden hose to a toilet? obviously cheap and easy the way to go

sewer.JPG

I'd cast a little base and job done. Build a Tardis sized enclosure from pallets etc. (Turdis?). You can go from garden hose to 15mm copper temporarily with a hot air gun to soften the hose and jubilee clip to feed your cistern, basin etc.

@newhome has a great picture from memory of a wc sitting in the middle of her floor slab after the temporary enclosure was removed.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'd cast a little base and job done. Build a Tardis sized enclosure from pallets etc. (Turdis?). You can go from garden hose to 15mm copper temporarily with a hot air gun to soften the hose and jubilee clip to feed your cistern, basin etc.

@newhome has a great picture from memory of a wc sitting in the middle of her floor slab after the temporary enclosure was removed.

yep, its the garden hose to the pipe bit I couldn't work out, end up spending more on fittings than I will on the toilet if not carefull

Just now, Russell griffiths said:

Why connection from a garden hose ?

if you have water on site, cut into it stick a bit of 20mm mdpe with an adapter to a push fit tap connector and connect to toilet. 

Find a free shed on face book and put a shed up with toilet, hand basin. 

only because the water is 50M away and is 32mm MDPE into a 3/4" tap already fitted to a post; be a right pain to strip it down, add in a connector, etc; all all of the temp bits to be thrown away when done. Garden hose will be re-used

If you want to get technical there is a hose to Speedfit type connector:

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/push-fit-fittings/jg-speedfit-hose-connector-15mm-x-12inch/p/853987

Honestly I've used the copper pipe/jubilee trick on loads of repairs to extend 1/2" garden hoses. You can also dip the hose in boiling water to soften it.

I'd say freezing up might be your biggest problem?

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Not on the floor slab, this is where the parking area now is, and before the enclosure was put up. The enclosure eventually blew down (not with someone on the bog thankfully!). Worked well during the time we needed it. 

23724F3A-1FBC-44C3-8395-83734452CCBB.jpeg

Here’s my site loo, it’s made of recycled timber, loo and sink. It’s connected to the septic tank. It regularly gets praised by its users as one of the best they’ve used.

003955C1-99F3-4909-8901-F60CB616F150.jpeg.7ea7916ebbbd344b0a2b2cebd6be23a1.jpeg6A1396E1-959F-428F-BECD-DEBB7B4DE9CA.jpeg.5f7a4d0d9c6b843814845f97006facdc.jpeg

Edited by Triassic
  • Like 1

^^  That reminds me of our first trip to Oz.  We had a meal in a remote restaurant that was little more than a shed, with the dining area on a veranda.  The toilet was in a shed at the end of the garden and looked very much like that.

SWMBO refused to use it, there had been an advert about that time on UK tv depicting such a facility down under with a .spider hiding under the loo seat.  It never ceases to amaze me a woman's ability to "hold on"

• 5 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

What has anyone done when no mains sewer is available and the planned sewage plant/tank has not been installed? We are at the very beginning of our build.

Buy an old cheap touring caravan.  It will have a chemical toilet, sink and hot water. It will provide all your "welfare" needs and some storage.

You will need to take the toilet waste tank somewhere to empty it from time to time.

Or hire a portaloo

Thanks - that confirms my worst fears - childhood trauma's of touring caravan holidays and being the eldest sibling  (therefore apparently in charge of doing the emptying). And why was every holiday timed to coincide with the wettest weather the location had seen in the last 4 millenia?

@BotusBuild Best plan is to buy a site loo from ebay.

Renting one is very expensive. I bought mine for £500 delivered & have just sold it on ebay for £425 buyer collected.

If I had rented one over 3 1/2 years would have cost a fortune.

I used accompany called D-tox to empty, clean & refill it for £25 =VAT

As my build has been sporadic there were long periods when it wasn't used so it didn't need servicing that often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead, as i need to sort mine out. I am looking to buy (ideally second hand) a mains connected loo, one of these types.

https://www.toiletsforsale.com/product/mains-connected-portable-toilet/

I can supply cold water via a tap and the mentioned speedfit nozzle hose connector, but what to do about the waste?

Below is a picture of how i can set it up, and i think that i need to butcher a inspection cover to put a 110 diameter pipe through it and bend to go with the flow down to the drain.

I can seal the hole around the drain pipe entrance to the inspection cover, thoughts

20210309_092326-min.thumb.jpg.8f3f2bb653210bf9e719adf4ea2ef84b.jpg

Edited by Moonshine

1 minute ago, Moonshine said:

Bringing this thread back from the dead, as i need to sort mine out. I am looking to buy (ideally second hand) a mains connected loo, one of these types.

https://www.toiletsforsale.com/product/mains-connected-portable-toilet/

I can supply cold water via a tap and the mentioned speedfit nozzle hose connector, but what to do about the waste?

Below is a picture of how i can set it up, and i think that i need to butcher a inspection cover to put a 110 diameter pipe through it and bend to go with the flow down to the drain.

I can seal the hole around the drain pipe entrance to the inspection cover, thoughts

If you are installing the inspection chamber, add in an extra branch (can be capped later) for the temp toilet. If the chamber is already there and unlikely to need an inspection then a temporary cover will be ok.

2 minutes ago, markc said:

If you are installing the inspection chamber, add in an extra branch (can be capped later) for the temp toilet. If the chamber is already there and unlikely to need an inspection then a temporary cover will be ok.

Its to an existing drain (image now added)

Decent welfare facilities in this day and age should be properly planned and considered so good to see you giving appropriate attention.

just watch the tripping hazard around the manhole chamber with regards the 4” pipe.

27 minutes ago, James94 said:

Why spend all that money on a toilet, just a cheap shed and toilet from B&Q or similar place.

Resale value will likely be pretty good, and probably will have a net cost of ~£300 for the life of the project. Cheaper / easier than a knocked up shed and sanitary products 

54 minutes ago, markc said:

Temporary cover will be fine, just make sure its strong enough and restrained from shifting when knocked

Going to strap it to that wall at a fall, then 90 degrees to the inspection over.

34 minutes ago, James94 said:

Why spend all that money on a toilet, just a cheap shed and toilet from B&Q or similar place.

Why spend all that money on a  cheap shed and toilet from B&Q .

Just remove the inspection cover, knock the bottom out of an old chair and place over the drain. 

Bit of tarp for privacy, job done.

• Haha 3