JCT contract with groundwork

Tony C

Hi, I am looking into JCT minor contract to be exchanged with our groundwork guy for our self-managed build. (cost estimate £99k including some basement)

I have not purchased downloaded the document yet, is it simple to complete by ourselves?

Also do I need Contract Administrator ? Our architect is not involved in the construction stage, who else could carry this roll?

Any advise for this would be helpful, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

A JCT Minor works contract needs a contract administrator, so I would steer clear of that.  It's also not very user-friendly if you haven't used it before.

The RIBA does a Domestic Building Contract suitable for new houses (or part, thereof), and the client can be the same person as the contract administrator for that one, as long as the contractor understands that there might be a conflict of interest.  You can buy that online and fill it in yourself, there's a sample available to read through.  

https://www.architecture.com/knowledge-and-resources/resources-landing-page/riba-domestic-building-contract

You are welcome - although some contractors are a bit scared of some of these contracts if they haven't come across them before.  It might also cover all sorts of things that won't be relevant (not sure how if a retention is relevant to groundworks, for example).