Tarted up treatment tank

Thedreamer

We did our research and were happy to proceed with ordering a treatment tank, the model selected seem to be quite popular on Skye and every time I went to the building merchant they were in the yard. I thought this was a good sign and would mean that contractors would be familiar with it during the installation and if it required future servicing etc.

The tank was ordered but at some point in transit, between the haulier and the building merchant, it was moved off a lorry and the top of the tank was knocked, breaking the lid. They told me a replacement lid would be delivered to us and after a period of time it was finally delivered along with the tank. The delay was disappointing as my contractor had to go to another job, but I am realistic that this can easily happen on a self-build.

Here is a photo of the old tank lid and the damage occurred. This was annoying but it wasn’t too much of a concern with the replacement lid now attached.

P1170180.thumb.JPG.b748a8e38a8ff43558eb30178fef9d08.JPG

I then inspected the tank and noted some other minor damage on transit (chips and scratches, which I believe are reportable) and emailed the building merchant to report this the next day. I sent a number of e-mails both to the building merchant and the manufacturer, but didn’t get a reply. I then started to compare photos of the tank online with the one we received. It was clear that sealant was messily applied and peeling in places. I told the building merchant that I did not want to install this tank and finally we got a reply from the manufacturer. They said that there was no way it would leave the factory like that and that it had clearly been tampered with. They didn’t offer an opinion on where the tampering took place but clearly stated they were taking no responsibility.

Here are some photos of the sealant application.

P1170181.thumb.JPG.3f3a803f6c3b09ac4cb053509314553c.JPG

I have a suspicion that this is either old stock, was rejected by previous customer or perhaps failed a pressure test. I think just before it came to us they slapped loads more sealant on it because it was looking bad/weathered, they then put it on a pallet and added the black holding strap (if you look closely than you can see that the black straps have left an indentation on the sealant and smeared it upwards so presumably this was strapped whilst the sealant was still wet). The manufacturer told me that they water pressure test the tank after the sealant is applied and dried, so this makes no sense to me.

Here is a photo.

P1170214.thumb.JPG.02735e64474ae78d7a3b9a1de1fb9488.JPG

Ultimately this tank needs to last twenty or thirty years so I don’t want something installed that potentially could fail in a year or possibly five. If I ordered new windows or a door, they wouldn’t send me an old tatty tarted up product.

I’m yet to pay for these goods and have told them I have no intention to do so and to come and collect the tank. I’ve had a pretty bad experience with the manufacturer (unrealistic delivery time, the quality of the model, lack of sales after care and the sales manager for the manufacturer was quite rude) so I’m not sure a replacement would now be best, now looking at a new systems as I definitely want one with a air pump rather than moving mechanical parts.

P1170237.JPG

Edited by Thedreamer

I can't help resolve the issue with that tank.

But if looking for an alternative air blower tank, the ones that seem co come up regularly are Vortex, Biopure, Conder and Graff.  There are certainly members here happy with each of those (I have the Conder)

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I can't help resolve the issue with that tank.

But if looking for an alternative air blower tank, the ones that seem co come up regularly are Vortex, Biopure, Conder and Graff.  There are certainly members here happy with each of those (I have the Conder)

Conder is looking like it might be the preferred option, where did you get yours from?

8 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

Conder is looking like it might be the preferred option, where did you get yours from?

Travis perkins. Beat any other price I could find, with the added advantage it got delivered on their own wagon with a hiab to unload it. Some other suppliers said I would have to offload it, and my digger would not have reached high enough to lift it off a wagon.

Mine is the ASP6  Here is it being lowered into the hole in the ground

in_she_goes.thumb.jpg.9a2d4c79c3577f649d77e436566566a7.jpg

• Like 1

@Thedreamer The condition of that tank is just unbelievable. Lucky you had the where with all to inspect it like you did. We went for a Bio-pure and have had no problems whatsoever with it a year on [touch wood] We bought direct from webuildit-ltd.co.uk  but I'm not sure as to their policy on deliveries to your part of the world.

• Like 2

Just now, Redoctober said:

@Thedreamer The condition of that tank is just unbelievable. Lucky you had the where with all to inspect it like you did. We went for a Bio-pure and have had no problems whatsoever with it a year on [touch wood] We bought direct from webuildit-ltd.co.uk  but I'm not sure as to their policy on deliveries to your part of the world.

I'll have look at that one too. Thanks

• 10 months later...

Don't know id you got an alternative yet but if not stay away from WTE their after sales is rubbish and they don't even make the Apex/Falcon range as they claim to do - the Clenviro Matrix would be my choice for an air blower.  It shape and dimension make for easy installation and it is solidly built and will withstand a bit of rough handling during installation.

PS I haven't got one mine is badged by WTE and I would never deal with them again