Fire regulations package for build control

hallega

Just been asked for a Fire consulatnt package, passive and active fire measures for the conversion of The Cow Shed. As we have "sacked" our Architect as he always appears to be on Holiday, we are now flying solo, can I do this myself or do I have to get a professional person on board? On the drawings the Architect has shown where the smoke/carbon dectector devices are to be placed and also a fire door to the garage, is there a lot else to do for the fire Brigade to pass it? 

If anyone has their one that I could look at it would be most helpful.

Many thanks

Yes, you can do this yourself, but what's needed depends on where you are.  Wales, for example, insist that sprinkler systems are fitted, England, Scotland and NI don't (yet).  Worth reading the Approved Documents that cover fire safety, as although they are a bit tedious, the solutions are pretty straightforward, but are dependent on the layout of the house to some extent.

All the Approved Documents are here: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/approved-documents

The one you need to focus on is Part B, but bear in mind that there are some interactions with other parts of the building regs, for example the fire door provisions in Part B (if required) also have to comply with Part M, regarding disabled access. 

These may look a bit daunting, but a great deal of the content of the Approved Documents doesn't apply to many dwellings, so it helps to just pick out the bits that only apply to dwellings, and then those bits that only apply to your particular style of dwelling (for example, the regs for a three storey house are more onerous than for a single or two storey house).

The key things I noted for our 2 storey house was to make sure that any habitable rooms that were on the same level, and not connected to a main entrance lobby, had an independent  means of escape from fire, either by another door or a window large enough to use for escape.  The same applied upstairs, with both bedrooms needing windows that opened with a big enough space to use for escape.  Linked fire/smoke alarms will be required, that are positioned so that all occupants can hear the alarm and be woken by it if it goes off.  Best to use a heat-triggered alarm in the kitchen, linked to smoke alarms in other areas (saves getting false alarms when the toast gets burned).  We have a heat alarm in the kitchen, linked to a smoke alarm upstairs on the landing, high up, and positioned so that it can be clearly heard in both bedrooms.  Not expensive to install (maybe £50 for the alarms plus some wiring).  Worth getting alarms that take a PP3 backup battery, rather than a built-in for life battery, as the latter need replacing after ten years.  If a lithium PP3 battery is fitted to the other type all that's needed after ten years is a battery change.

• Like 1

Re smoke alarms.  I have gone overboard perhaps.  SA in entrance hall, another in the main living room, SA in the utility room (my preference because of tumble dryer fires, I want to know if it is simmering) SA on landing, and another in my workshop the plant room above the garage.  And in the Kitchen, AICO do a neat combined heat and CO alarm in one package (shame AICO don't to a matching combinerd smoke and CO alarm) 

None of this had to be presented as a special fire docment, it was just documented on the drawings where they all went (though I have fitted more than the drawings say)

• Like 2

we have had to fit sprinklers due to access issues for fire engine (has to be 45m to all sides of building, goes up to 75M with sprinklers).  all this has been done but it is taking forever for fire dept to write to BCO and accept the plans (literally be holding BC approval up for 6 weeks now). If they go to the extreme they could ask for a dedicated rising main which is ££££; I think we can push back if that's where they go as it isn't a building regs requirement (I think...)