New trees near raft foundation

willbish

Should I be concerned about the 5ft trees my neighbour has planted just the other side of my boundary?

He's planted a row of mixed Hawthorne varieties the closest being 5.0m away from my raft.

The ground condition is pretty poor here, the raft is 300mm thick throughout with significant reinforcement.

I'm reluctant to rock the apple cart with the neighbour; we have a tolerable relationship! Im also reluctant to start asking questions of the raft designer.

NHBC guidance seems to make reference to existing trees when designing rafts but doesn't mention or recommend minimum safe distances for new planting.

Personally I wouldn't worry. In any case you can't stop him planting the trees.

I suppose you could dig a trench and insert a root barrier - that would be easier now than later. I believe you are allowed to cut tree roots if they cross your boundary (in say 10 years time) but not to the extent they kill the tree. 

You can't really control what happens other side of boundary. Temp makes good suggestion. They would always be liable for any damage however your insurance premiums could rise slightly when you have to start declaring tree

Thanks for your replies.

The stone wall on the boundary is to be taken down and rebuilt so when this happens I'll put a root barrier under the footing.

It's a shame he's planted them now because it's going make rebuilding the wall more difficult when the time comes.