oregon powersharp

scottishjohn

Only issue is you need to run the special chain which appear to be double the price of a good Stihl, Husqvarna, Oregon, Carlton chain. I'd rather have 2 chains and just keep them sharp. If every time you pickup your saw to work you run a file through the teeth you will keep it good and it won't take much work to remove the dullness - on bigger jobs just swap chains halfway through or when it gets dull.

To be honest I have run chainsaws for decades and always just got on fine with a set of files.

10 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Only issue is you need to run the special chain which appear to be double the price of a good Stihl, Husqvarna, Oregon, Carlton chain. I'd rather have 2 chains and just keep them sharp. If every time you pickup your saw to work you run a file through the teeth you will keep it good and it won't take much work to remove the dullness - on bigger jobs just swap chains halfway through or when it gets dull.

To be honest I have run chainsaws for decades and always just got on fine with a set of files.

times move on --and if its sharp all the time maybe it lasts longer ?

If they are twice the price but no hassle --thats fine for me -time is money  

i have yet to see a sharpend chain be as good as a new one --

Edited by scottishjohn

Just now, scottishjohn said:

times move on --and if its sharp all the time maybe it lasts longer ?

I don't quite get your point point - it's not going to be sharp all the time, like any chain it will just return to near as new cutting condition, until it is too worn, when it is sharpened. Given the aggressiveness of the sharpening procedure I suspect you will remove more material with every sharpening than a typical round file in the link gullet and 1-5 sharpening tip dressing.

To be fair, I suspect they are good for the home user who lacks the skills to do it properly, no professional would ever use one. 

This is a bit like many of the total gimmick tools sold to DIYers that you would never see a pro with.

14 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

I have yet to see a sharpend chain be as good as a new one --

On the contrary, I have never seen a new chain straight out the box as sharp as a good condition hand sharpened chain or fully dressed up brand new chain.

Much like chisels only come ready for the final sharpening, almost no chisel comes ready for use from the factory, a brand new chain needs brought up to final full sharpness. Sure you can use them out the box, like a chisel, but they are not actually ready yet. 

I get chain from a tree surgeon who buys it on 100' rolls, the chain is good, sharp enough you can cut your fingers on it if you are not careful but after a quick dressing up it is lethal!

Edited by Carrerahill

36 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

yes - they are crap. I have one you can have for postage. 

Set it up on a snedding saw to save a bit of time and have not been impressed at all. They go blunt a lot quicker and I think it’s due to the heat generated when the chain sharpens against the stones at speed. 

12 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

To be fair, I suspect they are good for the home user who lacks the skills to do it properly, no professional would ever use one. 

They give a false sense of security to the home user who instead of inspecting the chain as he sharpens it, just shoves a gadget on and cracks on with cutting and then 10 mins later wonders why their chain snapped as they didn’t see the damage on it ...

13 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

They occasionally have significant reductions on ones with this system at B&Q.

I so wish they would change the law so you can’t buy chainsaws in the DIY sheds .... 

14 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

I don't quite get your point point - it's not going to be sharp all the time, like any chain it will just return to near as new cutting condition, until it is too worn, when it is sharpened. Given the aggressiveness of the sharpening procedure I suspect you will remove more material with every sharpening than a typical round file in the link gullet and 1-5 sharpening tip dressing.

This is a bit like many of the total gimmick tools sold to DIYers that you would never see a pro with.

I,m never going to be a pro using lots and lots of chains  or spend many hours getting the knack of filing them and the rakers etc  -

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

yes - they are crap. I have one you can have for postage

a real one,sharpener and bar and chain or just the gadget that you buy non genuine from china -- cos you need a different chain to work correctly --different shape cutting tooth -more like a chisel than a normal chainsaw  

I really don,t see oregon --who do nothing but make chains  making something crap -maybe not last as long as a std chain 

Edited by scottishjohn

32 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

a real one,sharpener and bar and chain or just the gadget that you buy non genuine from china -- cos you need a different chain to work correctly --different shape cutting tooth -more like a chisel than a normal chainsaw  

I really don,t see oregon --who do nothing but make chains  making something crap -maybe not last as long as a std chain 

I have a 14” Oregon Powersharp bar, with correct chain and clip on pack. 

For someone who relies on his saws and chains being sharp and in good order, I don’t buy Chinese gadgets that could cause me serious damage ... 

I have been using chainsaws my whole life, started at 16 and am now racing towards 50. I buy Oregon chains / bars and sharpen with a round file and take the depth gauge down with a flat file as needed... it’s always worked just great. Have never considered any gadgets as sharpening only takes a few minutes.