Kit House from Finland

Rogersp

Hi

Still on the hunt for a building plot within my budget which poses the first question:

If a survey of existing property in the surrounding geography equals x 000s of £s, what percentage would one expect to pay for a building plot in that geography. I just want to be cautious that I don't over pay for a building plot and build a house thats well above the market pricing for that area. I realise this a real variable but wondered if someone had a quick and dirty formulae to apply?

Secondly, looking at both enclosed panel and SIP construction for the shell/frame construction but came across this company based in the uk at the Grand Designs show at the NEC:

https://www.taloelements.co.uk/index.html

and the parent company or supplier to the above company:

https://www.jetta-talo.fi/

Accessing the parent company WS, utilising Translate,  has more details and Specification looks very good, or is it? I have witnessed similar homes being built in Sweden where such houses appear to be erected very quickly and are weather tight within days and are well regarded.

Has anyone any experience of this company of opinions on the quality of the product and any experience of dealing with them.

I'm still building a rough cut budget and looking at many options so would be grateful for any input.

Many thanks

I don't think there is a simple rule that can be applied for plot pricing, really.  It's a free market, and a plot will be worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for it.  It's not that unusual for self-builders to pay over the odds for a plot, or buy an existing house, demolish it, and build what they want.  I suspect that some end up paying more than the finished house is worth, as they are prepared to pay extra to get the house they really want.

Our build came in a little bit under the market value of the completed house, but that's only because the value rose whilst we were building it.  If prices here had remained stable, then we'd have paid slightly more overall than the house would have been worth.

So much depends on factors like the local prices in the area, the nature of the plot (we bought our plot relatively cheaply as it was fairly difficult to build on, for example) and local house prices.  You can buy a very nice plot in some areas for ~£50k, yet the same plot somewhere else could be £300k or more.

As for methods of construction, there are loads to choose from.  Many of us here have used well-insulated prefabricated timber frame construction, many have used other forms of timber frame construction, many have used ICF systems and many have used conventional block and brick.  A lot may come down to what would work well on the plot you have, so I'd leave the decision on which construction method to use until you've found a plot.  We looked at several plots, and some would have pretty much dictated the use of some construction methods over others.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...