Timber Carport & Driveway

Onoff

Thinking to build a car port. Nominal 6m x 6m. Something like this:

1452490434_1_wooden_car_port_classic_double_6m_x_6m(1).thumb.jpg.b0a9365fd5c86666832ee51d128f733c.jpg

Shallow pitched roof. 4 posts each side.

1_avp_carport_3x6_0.jpg.f56b0bc7995473fc6c1b5506b0b90183.jpg

In an AONB. Reference pp, there are I believe restrictions on how far forward of the dwelling these things can be. But the garage is already in front of the house albeit to one side. Crap screenshot but garage is the single hip end building to the left, road is the grey strip top left. Car port would go on the hip end of the garage to the NW.

20191015_092612.jpg.63d8c7b16f90b524f3632e70bcdc5934.jpg

Edited by Onoff

I think you should have the posts CNC Lathe turned from composite, and then have 3D metal deposition brackets made whilst setting it onto a series of hand welded double helical piles ...

The roof should be cedar shingles - they take about 15 years to grow, so if you sow them this autumn you should be able to harvest by the time you’re ready to get the roof on .... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I am planning a tractor shed on the side of my garage under permitted development but it’s not allowed in front of the primary face of the house or road side but my garage is already in front of the house and I have a road on both sides???.

18 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I am planning a tractor shed on the side of my garage under permitted development but it’s not allowed in front of the primary face of the house or road side but my garage is already in front of the house and I have a road on both sides???.

It's a dilemma. House was here first. Previous owners had the garage built. All above board with pp yet it's forward of the house, nearer the road albeit off to one side.

• 1 year later...

Still mulling a car port. Funds don't allow at the moment but I'm thinking ahead. 

I'm currently digging (by hand), a 13m trench from my garage to gate post, 600mm deep and the width of a mattock at the bottom. Into that will go some heavy duty DNO type ducting. The thing is, if I were to do a car port I'm guessing that at 6m x 6m I'd have 6 posts, maybe 8. Wondering if it's worth digging out for then pouring in 6/8 mass concrete "cubes". Later I could simply drill and fix the car port leg feet to these pads. To dig for the bases later I'd risk hitting the duct when digging. One option, but I imagine they wouldn't be big enough, is to dig post holes with the auger bit on a pto. Think the Bil's auger is about 12" dia.

cp_001.jpg.5609f0475aff25914491eb141ae7b93d.jpg

29 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

If I were doing it I wouldn't have the pads more than 600mm deep so the ducting would be safe and I could do the pads later. Easier than boring holes for the posts.

Fair enough. Gut feeling was saying 800 - 1000mm deep. I almost want "cardboard" boxes or tubes I can leave in the ground and fill up with concrete later. Was thinking some shuttered wooden boxes that would rot away. Half rain barrels, oil drums etc. 

I'm nominally at 600mm at the mo depth wise in the trench. Bloody hard going!

Not sure yet where my core drilling from inside the garage comes out depth wise nor how far down the duct is I left at the pillar end. I want to ensure the duct is deep enough so as to allow unimpeded excavations if I later block pave. 

The root layer from the conifer hedge is a pita. I've a bfo concrete post footing from the original gate post to break out yet, right on the trench line. Then there's the flints. The clay keeps sticking to the mattock blade too so I have to keep a can of spray oil handy.

IMG_20201020_092904085.thumb.jpg.20edc28fff6548aa8dda6ecb1bcbbbc5.jpg

IMG_20201020_093007501.thumb.jpg.c94f46c53336218056a21cd7030fb732.jpg

Oh well, back to the digging!

IMG_20201020_092959825.jpg

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Gut feeling was saying 800 - 1000mm deep.

Looking at your first picture I'm guessing they're around 150mm posts about 2m high. For those I would use about 450mm concrete cubes. I may be way out but I do tend to over-engineer usually.

2 hours ago, Bozza said:

How about Ground Screws?  

Just looked them up, never seen them before. A good chance I reckon of either going straight through the duct with one or the car port weight pushing down on in and they pointy end going through (the duct). 

I know where I am with timber formwork and concrete tbh. The cube sizes / depths that Peter is thinking are smaller than I'd envisaged tbh.

13 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Just looked them up, never seen them before. A good chance I reckon of either going straight through the duct with one or the car port weight pushing down on in and they pointy end going through (the duct). 

I know where I am with timber formwork and concrete tbh. The cube sizes / depths that Peter is thinking are smaller than I'd envisaged tbh.

I was meaning running the duct inset away from the edge and the groundscrews on the outside.  Less digging, protects tree roots, better for environment and my understanding is the costs are comparable to traditional foundations.  You’d get closer to your edge with screws.

I’ve been researching ground screws for my garden building you’d obviously need 8 for that car port, installed you’d be probably looking at under £100 each each base my research thus far.    You can DIY groundscrews but the installation company work out the calculation weight pull etc etc.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Is that installed or DIY?

I was provided an estimate by a company of from £55 plus VAT per screw so I estimated £100 per screw based upon installing bigger screws.  Just a rough estimate my end obviously your have to explore yourself.  Obviously DIY cheaper per the ground screws suppliers.

600mm deep all the way.

IMG_20201023_175007710.thumb.jpg.d09fa23ad154317cac29f08f0a162ba9.jpg

A question; I excavated the trench a section at a time so I've a large mound of mixed soil, some top soil, some clay etc. Should I bother trying to separate it as it goes back in as in clay in first then top soil. Similarly , other than removing obvious bits of tree root can the big 'ish stones and flints stay in?

IMG_20201023_174917709.thumb.jpg.7d1c3ecbd692621f9de9baaefc45cd34.jpg

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Does @joe90 not have any advice to offer from  the experience of having now built the planned Tractor Shed he mentioned in the first half?

Ah, not yet ?, other things got in the way but still planned (next year???). I have access to telegraph poles and planned 4 off on concrete pads only about 400mm deep (ground already compacted stone) and 400mm square with some sort of steel in the concrete I can fix to the posts To stop it taking off in high winds. (Well that’s the theory so far).

9 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Ah, not yet ?, other things got in the way but still planned (next year???). I have access to telegraph poles and planned 4 off on concrete pads only about 400mm deep (ground already compacted stone) and 400mm square with some sort of steel in the concrete I can fix to the posts To stop it taking off in high winds. (Well that’s the theory so far).

• Haha 2