cordless drill

Hecateh

@Hecateh, think about more than the drill. 

It needs feeding. With power. And that means charging. So you might want to think about any other power tools you want to use. When you buy  one brand, it almost inevitably leads to buying other items from that '' family '' because you save money on the charger.

Teuton  (I can't stand the real name)  do a light-weight range of power tools (link to a search for that type : Bosch 12 volt range). I use those because they suit my mangled hands, and are much easier to handle. Just as powerful - if not more so - than the one you are interested in.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

What do you want it for?

That is the Bosch domestic range, I wouldn't expect great things from it or perhaps the longest life if you put it to any sort of real use. I personally won't buy DIY grade power tools - but when your building and using them like a pro then it pays to have good tools - I also love tools - I would quite happily go onto Screwfix right now and just buy a saw or drill or something that took my fancy!

Keep an eye out on Screwfix and Power Tool World - some professional grade tools for not really much more money. https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/tools/drills/cordless-combi-hammer

As @AnonymousBosch says they need fed, pick a manufacturer and go for it - I use Makita and Bosch tools, which lets me limit my batteries to those two types. Makita batteries are expensive but once you have a set of them you can pickup bare tools for really reasonable prices. Sometimes I will also buy a whole drill kit on a deal just to get say 2 x 5.0Ah batteries. I bought a drill for £119 on a deal that came with 2 x 4.0Ah batteries, that was back when the batteries were about £60 each! No brainer and I got another charger. There is also always the scope to sell the bare drill or case or charger on eBay.

• Like 1

Brilliant drills, i've had one of the older version for about 8years now, it gets through some serious work, and has never faltered. Also agree with the bosch multi construction drill bits, they are fantastic!

If you want a slightly tougher version, Toolstation have the professional version of this with 3x 2Ah batteries on offer at the moment.

I have an old corded drill that I currently use but most of what I do is internal and so into plaster board or at most breeze block.  There may be occasional brick to go into (Hanging Baskets outside) but it's a modern house-brick - not like the engineering brick my old house is built of

Next year I will be doing the garden and wanting to build raised beds with wood I have (old scaffold board, pallets and decking) and possibly sleepers.  

Much as I would like, in some ways, to have other power tools I don't think I will get much use out of them and my son has a load of things I can occasionally borrow. 

It won't get lots of use but I do need it to be reliable and reasonably light.  

@PeterW are these the same https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Professional-2608595362-MULTICONSTRUCTION-BIT/dp/B004Z0TPNY/ref=sr_1_12?crid=10Z7SQ093J0YS&keywords=bosch+multi+purpose+drill+bits&qid=1571130768&sprefix=bosch+multi+p%2Caps%2C233&sr=8-12 - they look identical but ... I'm not sure

12 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

It won't get lots of use but I do need it to be reliable and reasonably light.  

I'd go to B&Q or a power tool merchant and have a look and feel - I hate to say this, but even if you don't buy from them.

I was going to buy a Samsung Microwave combination oven grill thing, looked good, got good reviews, large capacity, so I looked about and was about to order it when I thought to myself, no I need to go and feel and touch these. So I took myself to Currys and found the model I was looking at, it did look nice, well built, controls a little fussy but the handle, dear me, it was like a piece of plastic they would use to seal a steak in! It was so flimsy and felt cheap and the whole handle assembly made a creaking plastic noise when you pulled it. That was the end of the line for that model for me!

I ended up buying a Kenwood machine with a slightly higher spec, it was sat there in front of me in a box so I took it - very pleased with the purchase and it works really well with good functionality. 

I think you can see my point here! My friend has a £400 Festool, he thinks it is brilliant, I don't like it, it is a bit heavy, the casing is a bit fussy, it's too big and just annoys me - I have no doubt that it is a brilliantly engineered drill and does everything and more - but I always feel happier using my Bosch machine - I like my Bosch so much that I bought a set of new batteries and had a new motor fitted (F.O.C by Bosch as I knew the rep) so as far as I am concerned it is as good as new!

Edited by Carrerahill