Hear dripping noises coming from the waste pipe area in the kitchen

Tyler

10 hours ago, Tyler said:

Just noticed this today after heavy 48 hours of raining. Could someone help? What can that be, do I need to call a plumber in

0730DA5B-5542-4729-AAC4-3BB51F1C22CB.MOV

Would I be right in thinking your bathroom sits above the kitchen? If you flush the toilet or run the basin do you hear the water coming down that stack? If so I would first check to see if there is a tap running slightly or the toilet cistern is filling constantly and running a little, small amounts of water in stacks can drip down internally and give that noise. I know that would not be connected to the rain but it may be coincidence - although I admit there is a good chance it is connected! Do you have a condensing boiler with a condensate pipe tied into this pipe upstairs?

Down lower is there any access point (usually a white sort of round panel in the wall that can be unscrewed). What is below the counter top to the right and left of the pipe, could you for example remove a washing machine or other appliance and cut into the boxed in section and inspect it for an external to the pipe leak - that way if all looks dry you know it is internal and not an issue, or the issue is something like a leaky tap or if it's damp you know you will need to investigate. The chances are it is a single piece of pipe from the branch section on your first floor (or if this is a flat the flat above!) down to the ground floor, so there shouldn't be too many leak points and it is possible there is a leak there.

Also, externally, what is your gutter pipe arrangement - your house looks like a fairly recent build so I am going to assume separate rain water and foul systems - so do you have externally mounted down pipes for your gutters?

I made the mistake to post this last night when I won’t be back until Saturday as working away. I will try to answer some of the questions that will help me pinpoint the issue but in the meantime can I just say you guys are amazing (all of you) for what you have posted so far and trying to help! I really appreciate it, i will post on Sunday! Thanks a lot for your inputs

Edited by Tyler

On 15/10/2019 at 09:17, Carrerahill said:

Would I be right in thinking your bathroom sits above the kitchen? If you flush the toilet or run the basin do you hear the water coming down that stack? If so I would first check to see if there is a tap running slightly or the toilet cistern is filling constantly and running a little, small amounts of water in stacks can drip down internally and give that noise. I know that would not be connected to the rain but it may be coincidence - although I admit there is a good chance it is connected! Do you have a condensing boiler with a condensate pipe tied into this pipe upstairs? - Yes you are right in all of these assumptions - Bathroom is upstairs. If I flush the toilet I do hear dripping after that but not as intense as it was on the video when it rains and then it disappears after a while. With regards to the boiler question I am not sure - I don't think so, because we have a gas boiler on the third floor (in the attic) with pipes running down the house but not sure if pipes run down that way in this side of the house (Don't think so). Although it looks like there was a boiler in the kitchen in the past which they have taken away before this one in the attic has been installed. 

Down lower is there any access point (usually a white sort of round panel in the wall that can be unscrewed). What is below the counter top to the right and left of the pipe, could you for example remove a washing machine or other appliance and cut into the boxed in section and inspect it for an external to the pipe leak - that way if all looks dry you know it is internal and not an issue, or the issue is something like a leaky tap or if it's damp you know you will need to investigate. The chances are it is a single piece of pipe from the branch section on your first floor (or if this is a flat the flat above!) down to the ground floor, so there shouldn't be too many leak points and it is possible there is a leak there. - I don't think there is any access point - I looked under the sink and in the cupboards and it is all plasterboard everywhere , i.e. looks like it will have to be drilled through if needs to be inspected. It is not a flat it is a two bed semi .

Also, externally, what is your gutter pipe arrangement - your house looks like a fairly recent build so I am going to assume separate rain water and foul systems - so do you have externally mounted down pipes for your gutters? Yes we have white rain water pipes outside and then the foul system is on the inside , like a mini chimney (what is effectively on the video) 

On 15/10/2019 at 09:17, Carrerahill said:

On 14/10/2019 at 23:30, wozza said:

Is there a soil pipe in the corner?  

Can you take off the plinth under the kitchen units to see what is going on or to check for water?

this is what happens when i run the shower upstairs. I can see a small leak that i can observe from under the kitchen units but it looks like this is not whats making the dripping sounds, albeit there is quite clearly a small leak which i need to resolve. I will buy a selfie stick to try and video further up the pipes from under there

18 hours ago, Tyler said:

This is what happens when i run the shower upstairs. I can see a small leak that i can observe from under the kitchen units but it looks like this is not whats making the dripping sounds, albeit there is quite clearly a small leak which i need to resolve. I will buy a selfie stick to try and video further up the pipes from under ther

Where does your soil stack vent? Does it come out via a vent tile in the roof or even just a 1-2' section of pipe sticking up?

On 21/10/2019 at 09:11, Carrerahill said:

Where does your soil stack vent? Does it come out via a vent tile in the roof or even just a 1-2' section of pipe sticking up?

I was not sure what you mean so i took a few photos of the house of what i think you might be asking for

345D4992-B563-45A6-8A1A-8400013E8DA7.jpeg

6C5219DB-A762-41EF-8746-405D464F1634.jpeg

C4F4C442-E19E-4277-940E-5B40F66C9428.jpeg

77ABB914-247E-486A-987C-E76F2A2372CD.jpeg

16 hours ago, Tyler said:

I was not sure what you mean so i took a few photos of the house of what i think you might be asking for

OK - do you have anything on your roof? Like a piece of pipe sticking out, or a roof tile that looks odd - like it has a raised bit and a slot to the bottom etc.

Or even better, can you find your soil pipe in the loft space, does it emerge up there above the bathroom? Tell-tale sign of this would be if the pipe-riser continues up through the bathroom or within a partition wall etc.

On 23/10/2019 at 11:34, Carrerahill said:

OK - do you have anything on your roof? Like a piece of pipe sticking out, or a roof tile that looks odd - like it has a raised bit and a slot to the bottom etc.

Or even better, can you find your soil pipe in the loft space, does it emerge up there above the bathroom? Tell-tale sign of this would be if the pipe-riser continues up through the bathroom or within a partition wall etc.

looks like there's a whole on the roof as it is all wet around there. But also is this the pipe you were referring to?

5832BABA-37F6-41EE-A724-4C7255F05C7C.jpeg

On 23/10/2019 at 11:34, Carrerahill said:

not sure if they are related but here’s the dripping thatbi can capture from under the kitchen units

On 26/10/2019 at 12:15, Tyler said:

looks like there's a whole on the roof as it is all wet around there. But also is this the pipe you were referring to?

5832BABA-37F6-41EE-A724-4C7255F05C7C.jpeg

Yes that is it, that will almost certainly be your soil vent, assuming is is directly above the pipe in the kitchen/bathroom etc.? That is what I was wanting to know indeed, if you had anything penetrating your roof, so it will pass through the roof and on your roof you will have a funny looking tile or a piece of pipe sticking through it.

The issue is probably with the flashing piece around the pipe, it looks like a big rubber grommet with a hole through the centre which the pipe will pass. Over time they harden and the seal fails. It may of course be something else like a tile has slipped and the water is running under it etc. but the issue would appear certainly to be related to the soil vent. 

Remedy would be to get up someone up there to look at it, a roofer would be who I would call (well no that is a lie I would do it myself) - you could attempt it yourself it is not difficult but it is high and dangerous and requires the knowledge of roofing and flashings to get it fixed well, but with all due respect, I get the feeling you are not a DIY/technically minded person so you may just create a bigger issue. 

Time to call the roofer.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

Yes that is it, that will almost certainly be your soil vent, assuming is is directly above the pipe in the kitchen/bathroom etc.? That is what I was wanting to know indeed, if you had anything penetrating your roof, so it will pass through the roof and on your roof you will have a funny looking tile or a piece of pipe sticking through it.

The issue is probably with the flashing piece around the pipe, it looks like a big rubber grommet with a hole through the centre which the pipe will pass. Over time they harden and the seal fails. It may of course be something else like a tile has slipped and the water is running under it etc. but the issue would appear certainly to be related to the soil vent. 

Remedy would be to get up someone up there to look at it, a roofer would be who I would call (well no that is a lie I would do it myself) - you could attempt it yourself it is not difficult but it is high and dangerous and requires the knowledge of roofing and flashings to get it fixed well, but with all due respect, I get the feeling you are not a DIY/technically minded person so you may just create a bigger issue. 

Time to call the roofer.

Yes spot on thanks