Silencer - can it be mounted horizontally?

14 hours ago, CC45 said:

the silencer (solid) is going between the unit and the distribution box - can't see why you would want it between the unit & outside.

you wouldn't on MVHR's but for big AHU's and plant you do usually need an attenuator on the atmospheric side if you have noise sensitive receptors around.

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:32, vivienz said:

Any chance of some action photos? I will be making some changes to our system soon.

will do when its in place - been distracted by tiling at the minute.  Just hang in there for a wee while

• Thanks 1

Well some progress.

For those who wanted a picture of silencers... All suspended off chains but could easily be done with something more sound proof.

The 150mm flexi pipe I've used to join the silencer to the MVHR is a pain to put on and its not overly robust.  I've ordered some more connectors and I will put these into the ends of the pipes and then slide the flexi over that.

All mounted in an unheated attic - it takes a lot of time to do all the insulation in amongst all that timber.

Hope that's what some of you wanted to see.

IMG_3378.thumb.JPG.85e10e43da03b14cd478e1895b914c2c.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CC45 said:

The 150mm flexi pipe I've used to join the silencer to the MVHR is a pain to put on and its not overly robust.  I've ordered some more connectors and I will put these into the ends of the pipes and then slide the flexi over that.

That's what I did on mine too... inserted a connector to the solid pipe and taped, then attached the flexi with a worm drive clip, then taped over that too.  I used the fabric flexi's though, and there was no way at all they were going to go over the pipes any other way.

Looking at this photo, I can see why mine never got done as I can't see there being enough space to put this kind of arrangement into the loft. The pipework is very convoluted and takes up much of the space immediately around the unit so I don't think will be one for me.

Thanks for the photos, though, very helpful for visualisation.

30 minutes ago, CC45 said:

they look like really tidy connectors - any details?

Tidy installation.

The 150mm stuff?  It's ubbink insulated duct, there are joints and support brackets which you can use as clamps. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JFDIY said:

Here's how I've done mine, semi-flexible silencer only on supply for now. I have space to do the same on extract at a later date if needs be.

Excellent, that's the neatest installation I've seen.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Would fitting 4 flexible silencers off of the unit (intake from external / vent to external / to supply distribution box / from extract distribution box) be a good idea to reduce all noise internally and externally (external grills around head height at front of house)?  Will I run into any airflow issues?  They are very reasonable cost so if not to the detriment of the flow, seems like a worthwhile thing to do at the outset.

1 hour ago, tanneja said:

Would fitting 4 flexible silencers off of the unit (intake from external / vent to external / to supply distribution box / from extract distribution box) be a good idea to reduce all noise internally and externally (external grills around head height at front of house)?  Will I run into any airflow issues?  They are very reasonable cost so if not to the detriment of the flow, seems like a worthwhile thing to do at the outset.

I can see no reason not to, and some people do have genuine concerns about the noise for neighbours.

It will mean a slightly higher fan speed, so as long as your chosen MHRV unit has sufficient headroom, it would be fine I reckon.

• Like 1