G'day.

Brix

I just wanted to say hi before delving into asking planning advice.

I have done quite a bit of small scale residential development in the past and been very hands on with design, planning, project and site management - but not formally trained in any of those.

I've been building a little self sufficient cabin by myself on a hill top in deepest darkest Wales (logistical nightmare) where I have also planted 5000 trees and at some time in the not too distant future I plan to start a barn conversion there (planning is in place).

I love all things small architecture and building. I'm fairly pragmatically energy conscious - or at least have aspirations to be. I make a lot of mistakes - and occasionally even learn from some of them.

These days a lot of my time is spent looking after my 2 year old.

Edited by Brix
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Have you had a Structural Engineener's report yet for your conversion? I'm struggling with eyewatering costs to stabilise the foundations to modern standards, of my stable conversion. 

I did but it was some time ago and I would need to dig it out (my planning permission actually expired but I have a certificate of lawfulness in respect of material commencement, so now secure in perpetuity.) To be honest, I have zero experience of stone walls and foundations have been my biggest worry even though full building reg plans were approved without any upgrade to the existing foundations where walls are being retained - engineer felt structure was sufficiently stable at the time. There is a lot of excavation up to the base of the stone walls for a new insulated slab etc... Although once complete this should add stability to the structure the construction process worries me! (As you can probably tell - I'm not really focused on that project at the moment.)

On 13/10/2019 at 10:54, Tennentslager said:

Hello @Brix and welcome 

any nice pictures of your cabin? 

I'll try to dig out a better pic later. It's clad in Onduline. The roof was badly damaged this year and so whilst repairing I'm planning a little sleeping loft for my son - it was going to be pop up like my campervan roof but going to be rigid now.

Edited by Brix
  • Like 1