Building a log cabin to live in.

michael_esler

Hi all

We are in the process of trying to get a site passed to get our forever home built. The plot has an existing dwelling with mains water and main electricity not far away so utilities are pretty much sorted. Really like the idea of a log cabin, interlocking timber kit house. 

Be keen to hear from anyone who has built similar with regards to planning and building regs and any issues they faced. 

I’ve attached pictures of what we have in mind etc 

thanks 

Michael and heather 

C94E803D-8689-4188-8EC6-9DDDF1125BA2.jpeg

9B1E125E-922A-4D74-AA2D-4EA805604B58.jpeg

CB8A48D0-477E-46B8-8343-9BD5BB2F47E8.jpeg

1003BE06-095F-4A26-A056-5DDDD9F40FB7.jpeg

AAEA5917-DED0-49C1-9137-DCBE75A961E7.jpeg

47B6F380-304F-4A5E-A509-7D7AC69B72F3.jpeg

We looked at a Finnish company that could supply log constructed homes that met UK building regs back around 2010 or thereabouts. 

The main issues to watch I found were insulation level and airtightness, as many of the simpler log construction methods used for log cabins aren't that great in terms of thermal performance.  I've had a look but can't find the stuff I saved from the time we were looking at them, and I can't recall the name of the supplier, but I do remember some of the technical details that made them work well.  The designs we looked at were twin wall, with one log structure inside another, using blown cellulose insulation between the two in order to get an acceptable insulation level.  The manufacturer also had a clever system to control settlement, and so improve airtightness, that used large steel tension studs to pre-compress the inner log structure.  One major issue is that log houses move a lot, so the detail design of openings for doors and windows needs a fair bit of care, and these tension studs were one way of allowing for this, although I can't remember the exact detail they used to maintain stability around door and window openings.  IIRC, the manufacturers suggest that an allowance for vertical movement of something like 25mm or so  per storey is designed in, over the first year or two post construction.  I suspect that allowing for this natural movement, without reducing airtightness, may well be a bit of a challenge, although it's clearly something that some manufacturers have managed to design out.

is the attraction the price for the kit?

I looked at some recently for a project and by the time you add on all internlas ,electrics +plumbing and sensible level of insulation -the advantage is gone 

no problem in making outside of a house to look like that  and presuming you don,t mind treating outside every year  with a preservative -- not a lacquer .

once sums were done i could build a sips house easier and cheaper --if you wanting to stay away from solid construction  and clad it with your logs  

Edited by scottishjohn

11 hours ago, michael_esler said:

Really like the idea of a log cabin

Just a heads up... Over the years there have been a number of dodgy companies operating in the log cabin market. Some people have lost money buying cabins from companies that are really just one man bands offering importing cabins.

Note: I'm NOT suggesting there is anything wrong with the company who's web pages you posted photos of. 

Edited by Temp

11 hours ago, michael_esler said:

CB8A48D0-477E-46B8-8343-9BD5BB2F47E8.jpeg

I noticed that web site has the same one described as "Residential" rather than "insulated" for £27,890...

https://www.quick-garden.co.uk/residential-log-cabins/residential-cabin-holland-7-5m-x-13-5m-25-x-44-66mm.html

Virtually half price ! 

Edited by Temp

I used to manufacture both log and panel saunas. These are basically small houses. Panel saunas, when outside had worse thermal performance i.e. they cost more to run.

Log saunas had, as @JSHarrissaid, large coach bolts though the timber that had be periodically tightened. 

I preferred making and installing log saunas as they were more profitable and the finished product was, in my opinion, much better.

I looked one of these kit homes and having talked to someone working on the industry, it became clear that the residential kit homes are often built on the same factory as those log cabins you see being built as lodge developments on holiday caravan sites. That rather put me off them!

14 minutes ago, Triassic said:

having talked to someone working on the industry, it became clear that the residential kit homes are often built on the same factory as those log cabins you see being built as lodge developments

That is probably a good thing, they have more knowledge.

Got to be better than many local builders that have limited knowledge.