Cleaning/polishing oak flooring after the build

joe90

Just got round to removing the protective cardboard and scrap carpet over my engineered oak flooring in the lounge and I am disappointed how dull and dirty it is. Surprising how crap can get past the best protection.  After careful vacuuming, brushing and cleaning with a damp cloth, great when it’s wet but quickly goes very dull again ?. I guess it needs a cleaner/polish to revive it. Anyone got any recommendations as there is sooo much out there in the market place.

Sorry to hear about this... I have a similar issue in that I have  made a staircase with oak treads and put some 6mm ply over the treads to protect them until I could get round to varnishing them, dirt and grit has got under the ply and caused discolouring. My only option will be to sand it down a bit before I varnish it but it’s solid oak so that won’t be a problem. Hope someone can give you some good advice. 

• Like 1

No experience of engineered floors

So phones a friend who has a commercial cleaning business

He told me that it’s normal for your floor to go dull after being scrubbed and suggested Elka oil 

Not sure of the spelling 

But assured me it’s quick and will bring it up like new 

Hope this helps     

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nod said:

No experience of engineered floors

So phones a friend who has a commercial cleaning business

He told me that it’s normal for your floor to go dull after being scrubbed and suggested Elka oil 

Not sure of the spelling 

But assured me it’s quick and will bring it up like new 

Hope this helps     

Thanks @nod just looked it up but it’s fir oiled wood, says it must only be used on previously oiled wood, mine is a form of lacquer finish . ?