IoT Kettle

SteamyTea

That's an example of where technology should be kept out of things where it has no real useful purpose.

Like the over complicated Dimplex Duo Heat storage heater I was trying to fix yesterday. It's controlled by an electronic module and I can't find any service information. A replacement controller is £100. There was nothing wrong with a storage heater that had a heating element and a thermostat.......

White goods manufacturers are going mad for internet connected devices. I really can't see the point.

Siemens(Bosch really)make ovens, a dishwasher and washing machines that connect to the internet. No doubt fridges will be along soon.

I really a struggle to see any useful applications for this meanwhile they add to the cost and complication of the devices.

Yes you can heat up the oven on your way home, but it only takes 5 minutes to heat up anyway. As for the dishwasher and washing machine I guess they can send you a message that they are done, but they tell you how long they will run for and how often do you need to know exactly when they are finished. You could turn them on remotely, but that's a pointless feature. Why would I fill up the dishwasher and put in the detergent, but not turn it on while I was there.

Some things benefit from remote connections. The house takes a lot longer to heat up than the oven so remote heating controls make sense, or remote security controls so you can check the house while you are away. But sometimes it just seems like pointless technology for the sake of it. Cars suffer from the same thing too now, like Tesla's electric front doors on the Model X, a feature that creates more problems than it solves.

Edited by AliG

5 minutes ago, gravelld said:

Probably so they can capture usage data and publish some infographics.

Or eventually link it to your smart electric meter so that your provider can charge you a higher/lower unit rate based on usage and time of day.

"We're charging you 100% more per unit for your tumble dryer as its not got an efficiency rating of A and you used it at a peak time".

Cynical me?

52 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Or eventually link it to your smart electric meter so that your provider can charge you a higher/lower unit rate based on usage and time of day.

"We're charging you 100% more per unit for your tumble dryer as its not got an efficiency rating of A and you used it at a peak time".

Cynical me?

But by then we all all be using kettles with a 100W element because that "saves energy"

Even more cynical me.

Of course, technically the lower powered the kettle the more power it uses to boil a given quantity of water, because you have to consider the standing losses. It only works if you are trying to modify behaviour, by making kettles so slow that people stop putting in more water than they actually need.

Actually there IS already a solution to kettle energy usage and we have one. It's called an ECO kettle.

It has two water chambers, a reservoir and a boiling chamber.

So you fill it whenever it is empty from a tap in the normal way.  Then when you want to make a cup of tea, you press a plunger to allow water to flow from the reservoir chamber into the boiling chamber, you let in just as much as you want to boil, then turn it on.  It boils quicker and just boils what you need.

Of course you can do that with an ordinary kettle (just put in as much as you need) but people are to lazy and it means a trip to the tap every time you want to make a cuppa.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-Cordless-Kettle-White-3000W/dp/B000XJ1OAS