When to install windows and doors in TF build?

Andrew

Just looking for confirmation / reassurance (or otherwise). I'm expecting to install windows and doors in our timber frame build after the roof is on and any brick skin areas are complete (we have two elevations with a brick outer skin, the rest is timber clad) but before external timber cladding (fixed via battens to the frame) is installed. It would also be before internal PIR insulation / VCL / service void battens are installed.

Is that right?

Most folk are wanting to get wind and water tight ASAP.

On ours self build the outer skin blockwork and cladding were done after the windows went in. Also windows were in before slates were on the roof.

My blog on here might be of interest to you.

• Thanks 1

Agreed with above comments - we put our windows into our TF before the external skin went up - Just a pointer though and I'm sure you won't make the same mistake as I did - make sure the windows protrude from the frame sufficiently as to allow the fire batons to work - I initially had them set flush - which was the mistake!  See images below for how they should look.

DSC00933.JPG

• Thanks 1

Excellent, thanks for the replies, it actually makes things easier. 

I'm pretty much ready to press the button on the window order but want to get the timing right. 

I am keen to get the house wind and water proof as possible. I should have phrased the question to that has been answered - what's the earliest point in a TF build that the windows and doors can be installed?!

4 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

My blog on here might be of interest to you.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of your blog, very enlightening. Your house looks fantastic and the setting is breathtaking. Hope we can get our larch cladding as nicely detailed. 

13 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Excellent, thanks for the replies, it actually makes things easier. 

I'm pretty much ready to press the button on the window order but want to get the timing right. 

I am keen to get the house wind and water proof as possible. I should have phrased the question to that has been answered - what's the earliest point in a TF build that the windows and doors can be installed?!

As soon as there is a hole to put them in :)

Ours went in as soon as the roof was felted.

Just now, Andrew said:

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of your blog, very enlightening. Your house looks fantastic and the setting is breathtaking. Hope we can get our larch cladding as nicely detailed. 

Thanks you for your kind comments.

We got our cladding (Siberian Larch) from Russwood, we are leaving this to sliver naturally, if you have decided yet, lots of options regarding cladding.

Once your windows are fitting you may want to put on some plastic sheets, to protect them during other works, our's went on once the outer skin blockwork started.