Sunamp Video

Barney12

Yes, I thought so too. The comment that they now consider Sunamp as being suitable as the ONLY heat source for DHW and heating demand was new to me.

The removal of the need for any form of water store is an interesting one and appealing but I'm not sure I fully understand it all.

Presumably you'd need at least two inputs and at least two temperature controllable outlets? Could you in theory feed a low temp underfloor heating circuit from water heated from the heat exchange in a sunamp? @Nickfromwales might know?

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

heat ENERGY

Isn't that like saying heat heat, or energy energy.

Don't you mean thermal energy, or low grade energy, high entropy (or is it low, never remember, greater disorder).

Edited by SteamyTea

The Fully Charged series is one that I rate and watch regularly.  It's explaining a concept new to most viewers.  I am  planning to  use  E7-heated SunAmps. No PV cos of  LPA wouldn't allow us to put them on  our  roof.   A double system heated by E7 so makes economic sense for our  load profile; it gives us the max flow rates without the hassle of an UHC or its extra 3 kWhr / day heat losses. 

Yup,  that's my current  plan.  One  doesn't  cover our  worst usecase.  Plus in 4 years time when the planning  conditions have lapsed,  I'll  put  a load of PV on our  roof. 

I did look a at ASHP boost but again,  it just doesn't make sense.  In  a few  weeks I'll put my  design up for  critique. 

• Like 1

Just enabled E7 timed input into my twin Sunamp PV setup - the surplus PV generation on cloudy days at this time of year is now problematic. My installation took place in January and I can confirm the very low standing heat loss I suspect we get more 'waste' heat from the adjacent Solaredge inverter.

Capacity per unit is 'over' 4kWh (they claim 4-5kWh) . We required a capacity to supply 240 litres into the bath at 40 degrees and the system has always managed to achieve this.

• Like 2

It's sort of looking like, for a passive house, a twin Sunamp set up, charged by solar PV and E7 (when required) would negate the requirement for any other kind of water heating or storage. Am I reading this right? 

Edited by Russdl

11 hours ago, Russdl said:

It's sort of looking like, for a passive house, a twin Sunamp set up, charged by solar PV and E7 (when required) would negate the requirement for any other kind of water heating or storage. Am I reading this right? 

This has been my line of thinking, the cost and potential complexity of installing an ASHP (and maybe requirement to service and then replace in 10 years). I have been thinking of a sunamp stack just to make sure I would be covered and be able to add a HT ASHP later. Possibly a used ASHP may be useful as a preheat source for water going to the Sunamp.

12 hours ago, Russdl said:

That depends very  much  on your usage patterns.  We  are a retired couple with a live in son.  So three people who shower regularly and have a bath occasionally, and we do our dishes and washing overnight on cold-blooded.  So based on our current patterns and use,  a dual unit will suit us fine.

25 years ago when we were a couple with 3 kids it probably wouldn't. 

The thing about ASHP priming is that the water is on demand.  You to feed hot water into the SunAmps, soo you need the ASHP running or the buffer tank preheated.  It might be worth it for a bath,  but think of the complexity that this will introduce. Will you ever get the payback? 

16 hours ago, TerryE said:

The Fully Charged series is one that I rate and watch regularly.  It's explaining a concept new to most viewers.  I am  planning to  use  E7-heated SunAmps. No PV cos of  LPA wouldn't allow us to put them on  our  roof.   A double system heated by E7 so makes economic sense for our  load profile; it gives us the max flow rates without the hassle of an UHC or its extra 3 kWhr / day heat losses. 

So is that just DHW? Or will it feed any space heating?

Nick (everyone). Do you think it's feasible and practical to run everything, in a passive house from 2 Sunamps, just using PV and E7? 

No water storage?

No buffer tanks?

No ASHP?

etc.

It seems to me, from my limited knowledge and understanding that it might work, but I would really appreciate your, (and everyone else's) considered opinion.

Cheers.

Russ.

I'm watching this too ..!!

Thought the sunamp could only store 5kwh so will be interested how much this would stand before the temperature dropped and you needed the inline heating to bring athe water to a reasonable temperature. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Russdl said:

Nick (everyone). Do you think it's feasible and practical to run everything, in a passive house from 2 Sunamps, just using PV and E7? 

No water storage?

No buffer tanks?

No ASHP?

etc.

It seems to me, from my limited knowledge and understanding that it might work, but I would really appreciate your, (and everyone else's) considered opinion.

Cheers.

Russ.

Need to speak to them before I can comment tbh. I've not looked at these close enough to cast an opinion but I'll ring Monday and see what the Bobby Moore is. 

"Please hold the line.......your call is important to us....." ?

Nick, I wasn't expecting you to act as my PA!

I could phone them myself but I'm not sure I would know all the right questions to ask. Having said that, if you do call then I would be very interested in your views and, of course, owe you a pint or three.

12 minutes ago, Russdl said:

I could phone them myself but I'm not sure I would know all the right questions to ask. Having said that, if you do call then I would be very interested in your views and, of course, owe you a pint or three.

+1 :) 

1 hour ago, Russdl said:

:D

Dont flatter yourself lol. I'll 'do it' for the good of the thread / members  too and, tbph, I want to know for myself as I may well start promoting these through my business. ;)

To summarise, that's 2 members at 3 pints each so next Friday eve is covered ????

Sweet. 

• Like 2