UFH - broken actuator head

Adam2

I investigated why the UFH is always on in the bedroom and think I found the answer:

image.thumb.png.b58c5e8f794a1e86e9179f3b5e3bbb61.png

Looks like over time some others may have failed as you can see a mix of blue and beige heads. The wiring box behind them says 240V so I was wondering how achievable it would be to replace this myself. I saw the same type of head here Myson . If I isolate the electricity and both mainfolds ( you can see the isolator at the end), how easy would it be to replace the broken unit? I'm happy with basic wiring and if I need to soldering + have main test kit if needed for diagnosis

cheers 

Yes definitely DIY job as long as you turn the power off.  Just connect the new actuator into exactly the same 2 terminals that the old one was connected to.

I used these ones https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Underfloor-heating-manifold-actuator-230v-UK-seller-Normally-Closed/263920710929?hash=item3d72e67511:g:NpoAAOSworhbvg0O

I chose them because the mounting screw is metal.  I have had problems before with some where you screw a plastic bit on and then the head clips onto it.

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I’d be looking to upgrade them to the self balancing ones. 

They are are an extra £5 and basically will sort the flow and temperature in one go. 

Well worth the extra. 

We'll be selling this place as soon as we build the new one (planning approved today!) so not worth the effort I think...famous last words!

12 minutes ago, Adam2 said:

We'll be selling this place as soon as we build the new one (planning approved today!) so not worth the effort I think...famous last words!

Well in that case buy the cheapest ones you can find ..! ?