Fascia choice

patp

We have to replace the existing fascia boards on our existing house before we sell it. We think we will go with plastic but it needs to look like wood as it is an old cottage and the windows are all hardwood in a dark brown with a hint of red in it. Have found one company, C&A Building Products, but wondered if anyone had any recommendations. All the usual suspects seem to only stock white!

How old are the originals do you think? When you consider how long wood lasts if done correctly and the roof is right I would always so use timber again. I know you are moving on but these plastic ones have about a 10 year warranty. Does't fill me with confidence - Many houses have original timber which can be 100 odd years old. 

I would be worried that you would devalue the cottage by putting plastic fascias on it. IT is not what someone buying a period property will be looking for.

Is it in any kind of conservation area? If so I would think this needs planning permission and wouldn't get it.

Thanks, we would never use plastic normally. We are just getting old and trying to minimise the work involved.

We are not in a conservation area.

The existing fascias were on when we bought the house, nearly 40 years ago, and were showing signs of needing replacement then! Just goes to show the benefits of using timber folks :)